Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clear cache in photos

how to clear the Photo cache

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 11:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 12:33 AM

Terence Devlin already explained about the working copies that Photos is storing for lossless editing and to speed up the browsing. They are essential. Some applications are offering to "clean" your Photos Library and to remove them. Apple is warning about them, because they will damage the library: Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library - Apple Support

Older versions of Photos had a cache for syncing photos to an iPhone or iPad. That has been the only cache that could be removed safely, but doing so, would slow down the next syncing considerably. This cache does no longer exist in Photos 5.0 on Catalina, because iTunes Sync has been replaced by syncing with the Finder.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2020 12:33 AM in response to ianfrombrissy

Terence Devlin already explained about the working copies that Photos is storing for lossless editing and to speed up the browsing. They are essential. Some applications are offering to "clean" your Photos Library and to remove them. Apple is warning about them, because they will damage the library: Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library - Apple Support

Older versions of Photos had a cache for syncing photos to an iPhone or iPad. That has been the only cache that could be removed safely, but doing so, would slow down the next syncing considerably. This cache does no longer exist in Photos 5.0 on Catalina, because iTunes Sync has been replaced by syncing with the Finder.

Jan 14, 2020 5:29 PM in response to léonie

My apologies - I managed to type the heading and then hit return to move on to the text - and somehow lost the lot.

I have 22439 photos on my iMac and have been told I need to clear the Photo cache - according to my advisor each time I edit a photo it retains the prior and subsequent copies - and that I need to "clear the cache" to free up space and/or memory. I do not understand this. I have ample storage left of the internal 1TB and plenty of memory of the 24GB installed.

Is there a problem or should I stop worrying?

Thanks

Jan 14, 2020 11:29 PM in response to ianfrombrissy

You need a new advisor. Or you need to listen more closely. It's really one or the other :)

Photos is a digital asset manager that is designed as a kind of digital darkroom. It is a parametric editor - that means that your original file is preserved and never touched. It's treated like a film shooter treats the negative. So, when you edit a snap the app notes the decisions you take in the database. If you export the shot then these decisions are applied to a copy of the original and you get the edited image as a result. But your original is preserved. This means you can always go back to the original and start over if you want.

For ease of use, and for the sharing mechanism, a preview is also created. That's a reasonable quality copy of the edited image and that's what you get when you send an image from Photos to an email say, via the sharing mechanism.

This is what Photos is designed to do. This is how it works. This is a feature not a mistake. There is no way to purge the preview or the original without significant data loss. Attempting to do so will corrupt your library, which will also lead to data loss.

None of this is remotely related to caching and no, you do not need to clear the cache, even if you do it will not recover an iota of disk space as it's all recreated the next time you launch the app anyway.

Make a choice: you want a photo management system that preserves your original like a film shooter preserves the negative, or you don't. Once you make that decision, all other things flow from it.

If you don't want this feature, that is if you do not want to preserve the original but rather what to edit it directly, the solution is simple: use some other app, one that works the way you want.

As for disk space: if at some point in the future library grows large, you can always just move it to an external disk.

How to clear cache in photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.