Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to copy folders to external HDD

Hi, i have Mac Air and i need to copy all my files to external HDD then copy the same to a Windows 10 based laptop. I formatted the external HDD to ExFAT. The point is i can transfer files from Mac to the HDD but i am not able to copy folders. It shows estimating copy time and nothing happens after that. Even compressing the folders on the Mac does the same. Any help please?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 9:53 PM

Just to confirm that you can transfer a file from the Mac to the external drive, but you cannot transfer a folder?

Can you transfer an empty folder from the Mac to the external drive?

How large is the folder? How large is the compressed folder? I'm assuming it is a .zip archive?

Is this a folder you created and it exists within your home folder?

Did you format the external drive on the Mac or on Windows?

See if you can transfer the folder while in Safe Mode. You can also create another user account to see if it works when logged into a new user account.

Have you rebooted your computer?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2020 9:53 PM in response to Sayed.Hossam

Just to confirm that you can transfer a file from the Mac to the external drive, but you cannot transfer a folder?

Can you transfer an empty folder from the Mac to the external drive?

How large is the folder? How large is the compressed folder? I'm assuming it is a .zip archive?

Is this a folder you created and it exists within your home folder?

Did you format the external drive on the Mac or on Windows?

See if you can transfer the folder while in Safe Mode. You can also create another user account to see if it works when logged into a new user account.

Have you rebooted your computer?

Unable to copy folders to external HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.