Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Driver for Apps

Hi,

I am trying to install a Leap Frog Connect app on my Macbook. I used to have it working on my laptop but then I followed the troubleshooting guide on their website and uninstalled the existing app manually to reinstall it. (I purchased a new item, and it wasn't being detected on my mac.) Reinstalling the app was a fail because I am being blocked from installing drivers/extensions. Now, I can't even using the LeapFrog Conect app anymore and I have 5 other products that I can't update without it. HELP!

Problem: Can't install drivers/extensions, being blocked by Catalina

Details:

MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.2

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)

Errors:

• Their troubleshooting guide tells me to go to Security& Privacy>allow apps downloaded from>app Store & identified developers>click "Allow" so I can select LeapFrog.

My problem: I don't have the "Allow button" option

• I am getting an Error 40 error when I run their app trying to connect my LeapReader. The error pop-up says, "The driver for your LeapReader isn't installed." I've restarted several time and re-connected the app, but it is still not working.

• I am getting another error when I try to connect another product (Tag Pen Jr) to the LF Connect App: "For Leap Frog Connect to work on this version of OS X, you will need to enable the LeapFrog system extension in the Mac OS security and privacy panel. " My problem? How do I do that? Their troubleshooting guide isn't helping.

Will someone be able to help me please???? I've put so many hours trying to work this thing. I got the LeapStart Pen Go which cannot be detected on my laptop and that's a whole new set of problem. (Hardware>USB then I get an error the error that it is not readable.) I will just return that product for a refund. My main issue right now is to re-install the LF Connect app so I can access my 5 other pens again. Help!

-In Desperate Need of Help

MacBook

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 1:36 PM

Update: I have managed to get my LeapFrog Connect to work again which is good. I have also figured out how to install app from third party developers.

The problem left is my LeapReader Go is not detected by the LF Connect even after trying to do a LeapStart Repair mode. This is no longer an issue with my Mac but with LeapFrog so I will now be resorting back to LeapFrog to fix my problem.

I learned that with Catalina there is No "Allow button" but if you go to system preferences>Security> At the bottom of page it will have a message showing the app that you are trying to install. (Note: this will show up immediately after you get an error message saying you are being blocked from installing the new app). Next to it, it says: Allow Anyway? Then just click that. I found this out by accident when I was trying to install another app.

So this is now no longer an issue about Catalina but LeapFrog. This issue with Mac is now Closed and Resolved.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2020 1:36 PM in response to kbfl57

Update: I have managed to get my LeapFrog Connect to work again which is good. I have also figured out how to install app from third party developers.

The problem left is my LeapReader Go is not detected by the LF Connect even after trying to do a LeapStart Repair mode. This is no longer an issue with my Mac but with LeapFrog so I will now be resorting back to LeapFrog to fix my problem.

I learned that with Catalina there is No "Allow button" but if you go to system preferences>Security> At the bottom of page it will have a message showing the app that you are trying to install. (Note: this will show up immediately after you get an error message saying you are being blocked from installing the new app). Next to it, it says: Allow Anyway? Then just click that. I found this out by accident when I was trying to install another app.

So this is now no longer an issue about Catalina but LeapFrog. This issue with Mac is now Closed and Resolved.

Jan 14, 2020 10:02 AM in response to kbfl57

I suppose you've seen this

https://www.leapfrog.com/en-us/support/connect/macosx

and at the bottom of that page:

• These steps must be performed within 30 minutes of running the LeapFrog Connect installer. If you are unable to see the "Allow" button, then restart your computer and try again.
  • If these steps did not work, please make sure the device is disconnected from your computer, and try uninstalling, and then reinstalling, LeapFrog Connect.

Jan 14, 2020 10:17 AM in response to mulberry58

First of all, thank you so much for your replies.

No, I actually was not able to get to that part. I just saw it now. Thank you. Thing is, I have restarted my computer SO many times after running the LF installer and I still don't see the "Allow" button. I just did so last night even. I just checked now, and no button still. My device is no longer connected to my computer either. What am I doing wrong?

Jan 14, 2020 10:25 AM in response to kbfl57

I don't know but you could try to uninstall by dragging the downloaded files to the trash bin and try downloading and installing again. Also, have a look in Finder, Apps. If you would see it there, rightclick on it and see if you can left click on Open

From https://www.leapfrog.com/en-us/support/connect/macosx

"If these steps did not work, please make sure the device is disconnected from your computer, and try uninstalling, and then reinstalling, LeapFrog Connect."

Jan 14, 2020 10:36 AM in response to mulberry58

Actually, that's what I already did. I followed the different options of uninstalling, manually and using a .dmg (?) provided. I uninstalled my existing Leap Frog Connect app that was working and now I cannot re-install it. :( . When I re-install it, it goes back to telling me that there are drivers that cannot be installed and I am back to going in circles uninstalling and re-installing. Now I regret having trying to uninstall the app that was working already because now, I can no longer use it at all. (I purchased a new device not being detected so I uninstalled the app but couldn't re-install. I installed years ago with a different MacOSx.)

Is there a work around with installing drivers from unidentified developers with Catalina that I am not aware of? I think I found one in the web but it is very complicated to follow and I fear I might mess up getting my other apps and files (even my entire laptop!) not to work just trying to solve the issues of this one app.

Jan 14, 2020 10:55 AM in response to kbfl57

Another thing to add: I've contacted LeapFrog customer service via email and phone call and they too cannot solve my problem that's why I am trying to see if someone from here can help me because I think this problem now is an issue with Catalina.

I am also finding that I am not the only one having issues installing drivers with Catalina. If I kept my existing app un-touched, then there wouldn't have been a problem. But since I uninstalled and had to re-install, Catalina is now making it very difficult for me to do that. I am not seeing an easy way. That's why I'm hoping somewhere from here can help with an easier fix for installing drivers/extensions.

HELP!

Jan 14, 2020 11:03 AM in response to kbfl57

What are my options? Should I just call macSupport for help installing an app? I feel I have exhausted all options that I know of.

I've gone through all LeapFrog's troubleshooting. I've called them several times, emailed, nothing changed.

I've asked in this forum and am still hoping for ideas.

I haven't really thoroughly researched installing drivers for Catalina but from what I've seen so far, I find them intimidating, my fear I might do more damage just like what I've already done to a previously working app that no longer works.

:(

Jan 19, 2020 9:45 AM in response to kbfl57

I am having this exact same problem! I have also un-installed and tried to re-install. LeapFrog support sent me a new device and I am still having issues. They have not been able to help me otherwise. Did you contact Apple? Have you found a solution yet? My next step after searching the internet for any possible tips is to call them. :(

Jan 20, 2020 10:23 AM in response to elmaen11

No, I'm still having problems. I am not surprised there are other people encountering the same issues as mine. In my last email I told them that their existing troubleshooting guide no longer resolves the issues of Mac users with the latest OSx and that a replacement would not resolve the issue. I even suggested that they send my concern to a more senior technical team. A day or two later they sent me this response. I suggest you email them back. Maybe copy and paste the one below with your own reply so they can have more references to enable them to fix the problem.

Thank you for your response our sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Please provide us the log files of the LeapFrog Connect application on your Mac computer. You can get this information by following the below steps.

- Click this link https://lfccontent2.leapfrog.com/cs/utilities/LeapFrog_Customer_Service_Utility.dmg

- After clicking the link, save the file to your computer

- Double click the .dmg file and mount the image

- Copy the CS Tool from the open window to the local hard drive, or just run it from the mounted dmg

- You should get a prompt to agree to the terms and conditions of the software, accept this.

- Select the option "Collect files to send to Customer Service"

- The program will now start and may take up to 10 minutes to complete.

- When it completes, it will create a zip file named "LeapFrog Analysis" on your computer desktop.

- Please reply to us and make sure to attach the zip file "LeapFrog Analysis" on your reply.

As soon as we received the attachment folder we will analyze it and update you for the appropriate troubleshooting for this concern.

If you have other queries, please let us know.

Best regards,

LeapFrog Customer Support

Installing Driver for Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.