Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro keeps freezing

Hiya

I have a problem with my 2015 MacBook Pro 13’ that has been happening for 2+ years.

It will run like normal for a couple of weeks, the randomly start to freeze. When it freezes the sound skips, and it either freezes on the screen I’m on or on a black screen, and a reboot is always required (if left for too long it automatically restarts itself anyway).

Once it starts doing this, it tends to continue I.e I will boot it up and within a few minutes it is frozen again. Eventually it will start working normally again but it usually takes at least a couple of days, if not a week. It is essentially unusable during this time as it freezes every time it is rebooted.

Is there a solution to this? I tried factory resetting but this did not help.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 6:32 PM

When you reset the laptop did you perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical drive? Did you test the system before migrating or restoring anything from a backup? If you immediately restored your stuff, then you may have brought the problem back.

Run the Apple Diagnostics.

Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you enable "Full Disk Access" for EtreCheck it will provide a summary of the most recent logs.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2020 6:32 PM in response to emmagj

When you reset the laptop did you perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical drive? Did you test the system before migrating or restoring anything from a backup? If you immediately restored your stuff, then you may have brought the problem back.

Run the Apple Diagnostics.

Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you enable "Full Disk Access" for EtreCheck it will provide a summary of the most recent logs.

MacBook Pro keeps freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.