Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off Caps-Lock + A

I easily turned off my Caps-Lock key in system Preferences. But if I fat finger and hit the Caps-Lock and the A next to it at the same time, it selects all the text I have typed, and the next keystroke deletes it all!

Is there a way to disable this action?

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 8:24 PM

If Azio has no help for you, and you've checked the keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences, then I suggest shutting down you Mac, unplugging everything but the kbd and mouse - drives, printers, scanners, whatever - reboot and try the Azio again. If the problem persists, then the next step will be to snag another USB keyboard and give it a try. Just about any USB keyboard will do.

If the problem disappears with another keyboard, then that points the finger directly at the Azio kbd and maybe you're looking at a warranty replacement at best.

If the problem persists with another kbd plugged in, then it's an issue with the Macintosh, either software or hardware related, maybe a bad USB port(s), and you'll have to continue to troubleshoot.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2020 8:24 PM in response to jrome

If Azio has no help for you, and you've checked the keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences, then I suggest shutting down you Mac, unplugging everything but the kbd and mouse - drives, printers, scanners, whatever - reboot and try the Azio again. If the problem persists, then the next step will be to snag another USB keyboard and give it a try. Just about any USB keyboard will do.

If the problem disappears with another keyboard, then that points the finger directly at the Azio kbd and maybe you're looking at a warranty replacement at best.

If the problem persists with another kbd plugged in, then it's an issue with the Macintosh, either software or hardware related, maybe a bad USB port(s), and you'll have to continue to troubleshoot.

Jan 15, 2020 6:57 PM in response to jrome

Many of the Azio keyboards are designed specifically for gaming and thus have programmable hotkey sequences or macros. You might contact Azio support about this issue.

Meanwhile, since the macOS doesn't usually respond to Caps-Lock+A in any fashion, it sounds as if there may be a macro or hotkey intercept going on.

Maybe you've inadvertently got some keyboard shortcut defined in the macOS System Preferences?

Take a look at these Apple documents to get started.

Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support

Create keyboard shortcuts for apps on Mac

Jan 18, 2020 3:06 PM in response to jrome

One more thing:

With your Azio keyboard plugged in, check the settings for Modifier Keys. You may have inadvertently set them for that keyboard.

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard.

Then look at the bottom-right corner of that panel for the button "Modifier Keys"

In the next panel that presents, you can set actions for the modifier keys Caps Lock, Control, Option and Command.

Or you can reset them to their defaults. I believe they remain for each different keyboard that you plug into your Mac, but I could be wrong. (I've been wrong before. 😉)

How to turn off Caps-Lock + A

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.