Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Losing Metadata when use airdrop

When I transfer photos and videos from my iphone to my MAC, the files lose their photo metadata, particularly the original date taken. I then have to rename hundreds of files manually. I also have to always make sure not to delete these photos on my phone since I need them for reference (states original date taken).

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 3:01 PM

Guys. I finally figured it out.

After clicking on the airdrop icon, click on "Photo options" or whatever it says in a tiny font there.

Toggle "All photos data" to ON. Seems it's off by default as a privacy precaution. Which, good, but it's hard to know the option is there.

I'm also not sure how surprised I should be that no one at Apple has replied to the very many forum posts about this. Hmm, maybe they didn't even know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2020 3:01 PM in response to ugh2020really

Guys. I finally figured it out.

After clicking on the airdrop icon, click on "Photo options" or whatever it says in a tiny font there.

Toggle "All photos data" to ON. Seems it's off by default as a privacy precaution. Which, good, but it's hard to know the option is there.

I'm also not sure how surprised I should be that no one at Apple has replied to the very many forum posts about this. Hmm, maybe they didn't even know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Losing Metadata when use airdrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.