Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is possible upgrade macOS Tiger to Yosemite on a Mac mini A1103?

I've got a Mac mini model A1103 that has been stored for at least 4 or 5 years but it still works fine. Then I've decided reactive it in order to have a desktop computer at home for ordinary internet browsing however the macOS installed on it is the Tiger 10.4.11 and lots of web pages find difficulties in open theirs contents on the browsers. So I thought it'd be better upgrade from Tiger to Yosemite.

My first idea was install Yosemite on top of Tiger. Afterward the download was done I double clicked it and the following message showed up:

Then I thought that the bootable installer using a USB on Recovery Mode would solve that matter quickly. After powering the computer on and holding the Cmd + R, nothing happened and the session starts normally as though I had holding no keys at all.

As last attempt I had in mind I tried to use the disc that came along the Mac mini's box. After inserting it, I reset the computer and awaited for the startup chimes to hold C key but after a few seconds of grey screen/apple logo was replaced by another screen:

So I've searched a little but I haven't found out anything like what I'm trying to do.

If anyone gotta some link explained how to do it and can share with me I will be extremely thankful.

PowerBook

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 5:14 PM

Hi,

As mentioned, you cannot go beyond Leopard on a Power PC Mac. Nor can you use Recovery Mode.

There is however, a partial solution for the browser issue.

https://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

You can install TenFour Fox which works better than Safari but you (probably) won't be able to use Flash video.

Be warned however, that there are security risks in using old browsers. Read up the Mozilla advice on this.

Regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2020 5:14 PM in response to Elav_od-Socram

Hi,

As mentioned, you cannot go beyond Leopard on a Power PC Mac. Nor can you use Recovery Mode.

There is however, a partial solution for the browser issue.

https://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

You can install TenFour Fox which works better than Safari but you (probably) won't be able to use Flash video.

Be warned however, that there are security risks in using old browsers. Read up the Mozilla advice on this.

Regards.

Is possible upgrade macOS Tiger to Yosemite on a Mac mini A1103?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.