Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers overrides

Hi there,

I had a file in numbers that I accidentally saved overtop of by renaming it. I assumed it would automatically save as a copy. Now I have no reference to my original file that was created under another name, only the new one. Please help!

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 3:52 PM

Hi G'

"Now I have no reference to my original file that was created under another name, only the new one. "

Actually, what you have now is the same file with the original name replaced by the new name.

If you wanted two copies of the file, one with each name, you should have used option-File > Save as…

1. (Press and hold option key, click File, choose Save as…, release option key)
  2. Then give the file a new name (and, if desired, a new location) and click Save.

That two step process keeps the old version of the file (and its history) under the old name, and saves the current version of the file as a NEW file with the name assigned during Save as….

The NEW file becomes the active file open in Numbers.

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2020 3:52 PM in response to GraphicStoryteller

Hi G'

"Now I have no reference to my original file that was created under another name, only the new one. "

Actually, what you have now is the same file with the original name replaced by the new name.

If you wanted two copies of the file, one with each name, you should have used option-File > Save as…

1. (Press and hold option key, click File, choose Save as…, release option key)
  2. Then give the file a new name (and, if desired, a new location) and click Save.

That two step process keeps the old version of the file (and its history) under the old name, and saves the current version of the file as a NEW file with the name assigned during Save as….

The NEW file becomes the active file open in Numbers.

Regards,

Barry

Numbers overrides

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.