Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save As in Numbers

When I do a Save As to save an existing Numbers file that I have modified and changing the file name, Numbers doesn't just save the new file, it changes the original file as well. I then need to restore the original file to its previous version to save it unchanged. Is there a way to avoid this?

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 12:45 AM

Not what I've experienced.

My understanding of what happens:

Once you have Saved a document, giving it a name and a location, the Mac automatically updates that document at frequent intervals. When you next open that same document and continue editing it, the Mac continues updating the file to include those changes.

When the document you are working on is put through a Save As…, any changes you have made up to that point of the current session will hav already been automatically saved to the original file. Save as… saves a copy of the document, as it currently exists (including thee changes up to then in the current session, with a new name or at a new location or both.

At that point, you have two copies of the same document in the same state.

Numbers breaks the connection with the original document file, ending the automatic updating that has taken place until this point, Any further edits are applied to the newly saved version. The original retains the changes made up to the time of the Save as…, but is not updated a further changes are made to the now current document.

If you want the originally saved version to remain unchanged, then immediately on opening the document Save As….

Then begin your editing on the Save As… copy.

Regards,

Barry

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2020 12:45 AM in response to StumpedApple

Not what I've experienced.

My understanding of what happens:

Once you have Saved a document, giving it a name and a location, the Mac automatically updates that document at frequent intervals. When you next open that same document and continue editing it, the Mac continues updating the file to include those changes.

When the document you are working on is put through a Save As…, any changes you have made up to that point of the current session will hav already been automatically saved to the original file. Save as… saves a copy of the document, as it currently exists (including thee changes up to then in the current session, with a new name or at a new location or both.

At that point, you have two copies of the same document in the same state.

Numbers breaks the connection with the original document file, ending the automatic updating that has taken place until this point, Any further edits are applied to the newly saved version. The original retains the changes made up to the time of the Save as…, but is not updated a further changes are made to the now current document.

If you want the originally saved version to remain unchanged, then immediately on opening the document Save As….

Then begin your editing on the Save As… copy.

Regards,

Barry

Save As in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.