Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers

Why does 'save as' not show up in the File drop down menu? When I go to the Help menu it shows there.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 1:40 PM

Yeah, it's not like the menu is so long it doesn't fit or it is such a powerful command that they want to be sure you don't hit it by accident. I truly do not understand the design philosophy of hiding menu items.

I believe if you want to see Save As in the menu system, go to System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts and assign it the shortcut for Duplicate (shift command S). My File menu has Save As in it. I think that was what I did to make it show up. I made it the Save As shortcut for all apps, not just Numbers.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2022 1:40 PM in response to jt105

Yeah, it's not like the menu is so long it doesn't fit or it is such a powerful command that they want to be sure you don't hit it by accident. I truly do not understand the design philosophy of hiding menu items.

I believe if you want to see Save As in the menu system, go to System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts and assign it the shortcut for Duplicate (shift command S). My File menu has Save As in it. I think that was what I did to make it show up. I made it the Save As shortcut for all apps, not just Numbers.

Sep 7, 2022 5:40 PM in response to jt105

jt105 wrote:

Does seem strange it just doesn't show up though.

This is the same behavior as in a lot of other Mac apps, particularly those developed by Apple. If I recall correctly, over a decade ago someone decided Duplicate is better than Save As. That drew a lot of complaints, and at some point the Save As was reintroduced, but behind the Option key.

SG

Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.