Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers can't save changes to Excel files but can export Excel files?

I have an Excel file someone sent me. I made some modifications to it and tried to save the file, but it started asking me where I wanted to save the file for some reason. Picking a location creates a new file in the Numbers format for some reason. It made me think it may not be possible to create or save Excel files in Numbers, but it IS possible. But you have to create a NEW Excel file every time you make changes for some reason. You do this by exporting whatever file you're working with as an Excel file (i.e. exporting an Excel file as an Excel file...???). Is it possible to just save the file I'm working with without these unnecessary extra steps? This is highly cumbersome and I can't fathom a technical excuse to justify this.

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 1:16 PM

You cannot edit an original Excel document with Numbers as it is not an Excel clone. You can open the Excel document in Numbers, wherein it is translated into the Numbers internal document format. The original Excel document remains unchanged. Features and functions unique to Excel will not make it through the opening Numbers translation process.

If you want an Excel document from Numbers, your only option is to export as Excel to a new Excel document name. Another translation process occurs during that export, and there is no assurance that Numbers will do that accurately. The result may appear differently when once again opened in Excel.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2022 1:16 PM in response to seanmxd

You cannot edit an original Excel document with Numbers as it is not an Excel clone. You can open the Excel document in Numbers, wherein it is translated into the Numbers internal document format. The original Excel document remains unchanged. Features and functions unique to Excel will not make it through the opening Numbers translation process.

If you want an Excel document from Numbers, your only option is to export as Excel to a new Excel document name. Another translation process occurs during that export, and there is no assurance that Numbers will do that accurately. The result may appear differently when once again opened in Excel.

Numbers can't save changes to Excel files but can export Excel files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.