Windows users can't edit my Numbers spreadsheet exported to Excel

I exported a Numbers spreadsheet to Excel. A relative on Windows says she cannot edit the file. I also find that I can’t edit the Excel version in Numbers. But I of course can edit the original Numbers file. Is there something to unlock?

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 7:16 AM

Long shot, but Is she opening it straight from an email?

office on windows will sometimes block you from editing an email opened file. It usually shows a little bar at the top asking if you trust the sender or asking to open in edit mode.

she should be saving the file down to her documents folder or other “trusted location” and opening from there.

jason

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 7:16 AM in response to Marc Stergionis1

Long shot, but Is she opening it straight from an email?

office on windows will sometimes block you from editing an email opened file. It usually shows a little bar at the top asking if you trust the sender or asking to open in edit mode.

she should be saving the file down to her documents folder or other “trusted location” and opening from there.

jason

Jul 5, 2023 10:58 PM in response to Marc Stergionis1

Hi Marc,

could you give some additional details on this topic.

Are you using a MacBook, iPad or iPhone?

What macOS / iOS are you using?

What Excel version is the Windows user running?

Normally Numbers can read the Excel file that it will create.

Do you get any Warning / Message when you create the Excel file in Numbers?

Sometimes you get these if Numbers was using things that are not available in Excel.

Do you get any error messages in Numbers when you open the file?

Please post them.

Will the Windows user get any error messages when he is opening the file?

Please post them.

In some older Numbers versions you could pick what Excel format you will create, please check if this is possible in your version.

Regards Ralf

Jul 8, 2023 7:37 PM in response to Ralf-F

I’m using Mac Mini, OS 13.4.1 and Numbers version 13.1

My Numbers file just exports to Excel, does not give a choice of (Excel) versions and does not give an error message on export.

When I then open the Excel file produced, the message is “Links to cells were changed to links to sheets”

Also when I open the Excel file produced It shows a window saying 

“This document was exported from Numbers.  Each table was converted to an Excel worksheet. All other objects on each Numbers sheet were placed on separate worksheets. Please be aware that formula calculations may differ in Excel.”

Under that is a chart with columns called:

Numbers sheet names / numbers table name / Excel Worksheet name

with underlined links to each Excel Worksheet produced. I am able to open and edit each Worksheet.

My original post was wrong. I Can edit the Excel version that I exported (in Numbers on my Mac), but the Windows user cannot.

Windows users can't edit my Numbers spreadsheet exported to Excel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.