Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can one force Apple Photos to update the Persons album and to synchronise the Persons album between iPad

I have all my photos (13.012) in iCloud.

How can one force Apple Photos to update the Persons album.

How can one force Apple Photos to synchronise the Persons album between iPad.

Currently I'm trying for over a month to get all my recognizable persons in either Persons album on the iPad and iPhone.

The albums also do not seem to synchronize between the two devices.

The advise to connect the device to a power outlet en lock the device obviously does not do the job.

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 5:58 AM

5 replies

Jan 18, 2020 2:13 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your answers Léonie!

As I see it, there seems to be no way to get the software to do the right thing and, based on your observations, Apple is'nt capable of keeping the already established data (recognized faces and the Persons album) in between new software versions.

In my opinion Apple has delivered an underperforming software product!

Jan 18, 2020 9:26 AM in response to CobolFret

It is not that easy. The upgrade has changed the algorithm for the face detection and the face recognition. The set of faces detected on iOS 13 is slightly different from the faces detected on iOS 12. The position of the detected face may differ slightly and additional faces may be detected. Sometimes it is just not obvious, if the previously assigned name should be transferred to the faces detected by iOS 13 or not.

For example, I had a few photos of two people together, let's say Mickey and Minnie. On iOS 12 the face of Minnie has been detected by Photos and named Minnie, but Mickey's face has not been recognised in this photo. On iOS 13 the opposite happened: Mickey's face has been detected by Photos, but Minnies's face has not been recognised in this photo. Photos has only one name for this photo - Minnie and one detected face - the face of Mickey. If it automatically assigned the name Minnie to the only detected face in this photo, the People albums of Minnie and Mickey might get merged. I prefer it, that Photos seems to be cautious and rather asks for confirmation, than risking to merge people accidentally, because that would really be a lot of extra work to fix again.

How can one force Apple Photos to update the Persons album and to synchronise the Persons album between iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.