Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight a contact (to find related email, messages, etc) on Mac??!

I've read on Apple's help pages regarding Contacts app on Mac that you can do a "spotlight" search on an individual contact (see below)

"Tip: Quickly search your Mac for emails, messages, events, and documents that mention a contact: Control-click the contact in the list, then choose the Spotlight command."

When I try this in Apple Contacts on my Mac (running Catalina), nothing happens. Help?

I'd really like to use this feature to find related emails and messages for particular contacts. Thanks for any suggestions.

Gary

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 10:21 AM

5 replies

Jan 22, 2020 9:47 AM in response to Pianoxcape

Pianoxcape,

Thanks for the clarification.

From here, it might be best to focus on the software to the Mac since the results aren't appearing as suggested. Make sure 'Learn from this App' and 'Show Siri Suggestions for Contacts' is selected in System Preferences > Siri.

If you're still having issues or they were already selected, try these:

If you still see the same issue, reach out to Apple Support directly: Contact Apple Support

Enjoy.

Jan 24, 2020 12:46 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hey Alex,

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried the reindexing as you have suggested, but that doesn't help. To clarify the issue - from within the contacts app, when I select a contact and right click and choose "Spotlight: Contact Name" - no results are returned. I have attached a screenshot to show. When I click this button, I am expecting a search to return recent emails, texts, etc related to this contact. When I click "Spotlight: Dorothy G.", nothing happens.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 24, 2020 9:40 AM in response to Teddy_B

Sorry, none of those things resolved the issue. In fact, re-installing the macOS caused my mail to crash. I had to rebuild my mail library and got that working - but still, when in Apple Contacts app in macOS, the "spotlight" a particular contact does not return anything. One additional item - I'm running the Catalina Beta and just unenrolled. I'm hoping that may have something to do with the contact/spotlight issue. We'll see.

Gary

Spotlight a contact (to find related email, messages, etc) on Mac??!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.