Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying a refurbished ipad

My iPad Air, version IOS 12.4.4 needs to be replaced. I only use it for simple functions (texts, emails, photos, facebook and browsing the internet). Should I consider a refurbished device from Apple and what model would be equal to or better than my old one?

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 12:52 PM

Hello,

Buying a refurbished iPad directly from Apple is the best way to guarantee a working iPad while saving some money. The iPad (6th generation) would most likely be the best option for you. It uses a similar body as your current iPad Air (1st generation) while dramatically improving iPad’s performance. When you purchase a refurbished iPad from Apple, you get an iPad with a new aluminum shell, new display, and a new 1 year warranty. It is still fully compatible with iPad’s latest system software and starts at just $329.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ipad/ipad

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2020 12:52 PM in response to KatherineManning

Hello,

Buying a refurbished iPad directly from Apple is the best way to guarantee a working iPad while saving some money. The iPad (6th generation) would most likely be the best option for you. It uses a similar body as your current iPad Air (1st generation) while dramatically improving iPad’s performance. When you purchase a refurbished iPad from Apple, you get an iPad with a new aluminum shell, new display, and a new 1 year warranty. It is still fully compatible with iPad’s latest system software and starts at just $329.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ipad/ipad

Jan 16, 2020 1:17 PM in response to KatherineManning

An iPad or iPad Pro can be a fine device for texting, mail, photos and related. With or without a keyboard cover or Bluetooth keyboard. Many folks routinely use iPads for those and other tasks, too. I'm quite fond of the iPad Pro 12.9", which does look big in the store, but isn't and the extra screen size is really handy if you're using it around a house and not looking to travel heavily with it.

Start reading here for some of the risks of third-party sales: The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

Apple or a reputable seller is no issue, but there are a number of folks offering lost or stolen devices for sale. This based on the many my new iPad is locked, please help! discussions. And we can't help with those; with bypassing the Activation Lock theft deterrent mechanism.

Jan 16, 2020 2:20 PM in response to KatherineManning

If your iPad needs are that modest, you do not need a very expensive iPad Pro or the 2019 iPad Air 3.

Save your money.

You can easily just purchase the new 2019, 10.2 inch screen iPad 7th generation.

It has a 1/2 inch larger screen on the diagonal.

The 7th gen iPad is much more powerful then your 6-year old, 1st gen iPad Air.

It has a faster CPU and internally has triple the internal RAM.

Get the largest storage version you can afford.

It is, also, compatible with the 1st gen Apple Pencil, if you ever want to use one.

My wife, currently, has and is using a nearly 8-year old, early 2012 iPad 3rd generation.

I am getting her a new 2019, 10.2. inch screen, WiFi ONLY iPad 7th gen 128 GBs storage model by the end of January.

The 2019, 10.2 inch screen iPad 7th gen iPad will be a HUGE iPad upgrade for her and she should be quite happy with it for, at least, the next 3-4 years!.

The 2019, 10.2 inch screen, 7th gen iPad should be a huge iPad upgrade from your current iPad Air model, too!

The 32 GBs WiFi ONLY model sells for $329 U.S.D..

The 128 GBs WiFi ONLY model sells for $429 U.S.D..

Buying a refurbished ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.