Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop Safari closing all my tabs when I close it?

Safari used to remember the tabs I had open in the previous session when I reopened the app. Now every time I open Safari it reverts back to a single empty tab. How do I get it to open with the last tabs?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 5:19 AM

Hi Chris

Thanks for your helpful response. I should have been clearer - this issue is on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and not on my Mac where it works just as you describe. For some reason, on my iPhone, when I reopen Safari, all previously open tabs have closed. On my old iPhone 6S the tabs remain open.

Thanks in advance for any further advice you can give.

Cheers!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2020 5:19 AM in response to chris_g1

Hi Chris

Thanks for your helpful response. I should have been clearer - this issue is on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and not on my Mac where it works just as you describe. For some reason, on my iPhone, when I reopen Safari, all previously open tabs have closed. On my old iPhone 6S the tabs remain open.

Thanks in advance for any further advice you can give.

Cheers!

Jan 20, 2020 12:18 PM in response to imorgs

Hey imorgs,

You may want to reset your website data as there could be something in there causing Safari not to reopen those websites upon relaunch. To do that, go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. Keep in mind that when doing this, you may need to re-enter a few passwords. While in Settings > Safari, also make sure that Close Tabs is set to Manually to ensure tabs that may not have been visited in a while don't automatically close.

Do a bit of testing after and see how your iPhone behaves.

Be well.

Jan 19, 2020 3:14 PM in response to imorgs

Hey imorgs,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! From what you mentioned, you're having a bit of an issue with tabs in Safari. I'd be glad to see what I can do to assist.

There is a specific setting on a Mac for this that can be found in Safari > Preferences > General. For that, you'd want to make sure that "All windows from last session" is checked. If it is and you still don't get the previous tabs, uncheck and then recheck the setting.

Also make sure that there is plenty of space available on your device. Info on checking your Mac storage can be found below.

How to free up storage space on your Mac

Have a great day!

How do I stop Safari closing all my tabs when I close it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.