Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover photos from dead iPhone

My iPhone got ran over by a car, and is broken beyond repair. I filed a warranty claim and my new phone is coming soon, but I would like to recover the photos on there that I haven't backed up. I have no way of turning on the phone, and the screen is in three separate parts and I'm pretty sure the battery and hard drive are the other two parts. When I try to plug it in, there is no reaction on my Mac. I also don't think I have any backups available on my computer recently. Is there any way of using the pieces of my old phone to somehow recover my photos? Thanks!

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 5:13 PM

If they haven't been backed up, there's nothing anyone here can do to help you. You could take your phone to a data recovery type company and see how much they might charge you to "try" to get the pictures off the phone.

6 replies

Jan 16, 2020 6:57 PM in response to pndinflkdshvibsodbvosvpob

pndinflkdshvibsodbvosvpob wrote:
Thanks. I'm considering it, but it looks like I'm kind of out of luck

It depends on how bad. If the logic board is somehow intact, it might be possible to get it working enough to extract a backup. Even if it’s just the CPU and flash left, it might be possible to transfer those to a donor board. But that kind of work is expensive and might take time. Once done your insurance company might not accept it.

Jan 16, 2020 7:40 PM in response to y_p_w

On an iPhone 8 with Secure Enclave, that will not yield anything. If the SSD storage chips were still intact, and transferred to a donor board, there is no way to decrypt the data at that point. The only way to decrypt the data is with the SSD chips still tied to the original hardware and with some means of entering the screen lock passcode on a bootable IOS system - without that, you can stick those chips on anything you like, but you’re not getting data back. That is the whole point of Secure Enclave and the firmware/passcode encryption system - Apple designed this to defeat the whole piecemeal recovery of data from memory chips alone.

Nobody has ever shown any evidence that they can recover any Secure Enclave encrypted data from anything but the intact, original device hardware, in an iOS bootable state. It is not a matter of just an intact CPU and storage even. The Secure Enclave is a separate chip, and it and its use is in turn tied to a number of hardware IDs on the original device (and Apple does not publish nor say what all hardware IDs are tracked or required for the Secure Enclave chip to work properly, but it does depend on numerous hardware IDs matching).

Recover photos from dead iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.