Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K at 25fps?

As far as I can discover, iMovie edits and exports 4K at 30fps.

My camera shoots 4K at 25fps so how will iMovie deal with it?

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 2:23 AM

I am not a big user of iMovie 10 ( still on and prefer ver 9) but my understanding is that the project properties are determined by the first clip placed in the timeline.

If first clip is 25 fps then the export should be 25 fps even if subsequent clips are not 25 fps.

If first clip entered is 25 fps and the rest are 30 fps and then the first clip is removed/deleted then the export will still be 25 fps .

If you want to maintain the 25 fps from your cam, then make sure a 25 fps clip from your cam is the first clip entered into the timeline on a new project.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2020 2:23 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I am not a big user of iMovie 10 ( still on and prefer ver 9) but my understanding is that the project properties are determined by the first clip placed in the timeline.

If first clip is 25 fps then the export should be 25 fps even if subsequent clips are not 25 fps.

If first clip entered is 25 fps and the rest are 30 fps and then the first clip is removed/deleted then the export will still be 25 fps .

If you want to maintain the 25 fps from your cam, then make sure a 25 fps clip from your cam is the first clip entered into the timeline on a new project.

Jan 17, 2020 2:48 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

Thanks for your comprehensive reply and it appears that your supposition is correct.

I have just imported a 25fps 4K clip into iMovie 10 and exported it as 4K.

I then analysed the exported movie in VideoSpec and as you can see from the screenshot below, it is 25fps as you predicted.

My original uncertainty came from the Apple documentation that only mentioned 30fps . . . suggesting to me that other frame rates were not possible.

4K at 25fps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.