Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to control TV volume from the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone

Hi Guys

I have set up the Apple TV Remote control on my Iphone 8 but I realize there is no volume button.

Any idea how should I control the volume?

Cheers,

Giamma

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 10:22 AM

The Apple TV does not have volume control, it is dependent on the device it is connected to and that is what is controlling the volume.

When using the volume buttons on the physical remote it is using IR to control your TV's volume. When using the phone you can only use it's volume control when using a receiver that supports CEC. That hardware does not support IR. The Apple TV can recognize the communication from the app, but can only utilize that command when connected directly to a receiver that has CEC support, otherwise nothing will occur.

Use the Apple TV Remote app - Apple Support

• Want to change the volume using your iOS device? Receivers with HDMI-CEC volume support let you adjust volume with the volume buttons on the side of your iOS device. You just need to plug your Apple TV directly into your receiver and not into your television. Get help with HDMI-CEC

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2020 10:22 AM in response to johnmaryP

The Apple TV does not have volume control, it is dependent on the device it is connected to and that is what is controlling the volume.

When using the volume buttons on the physical remote it is using IR to control your TV's volume. When using the phone you can only use it's volume control when using a receiver that supports CEC. That hardware does not support IR. The Apple TV can recognize the communication from the app, but can only utilize that command when connected directly to a receiver that has CEC support, otherwise nothing will occur.

Use the Apple TV Remote app - Apple Support

• Want to change the volume using your iOS device? Receivers with HDMI-CEC volume support let you adjust volume with the volume buttons on the side of your iOS device. You just need to plug your Apple TV directly into your receiver and not into your television. Get help with HDMI-CEC

Jan 17, 2020 10:12 AM in response to vazandrew

sorry I did not get it.

the remote controller I got with the apple TV has a volume button and it works.

The iphone is ok with all the functions apart the volume.

when I click on the volume buttons on the Iphone I see the apple tv led blinking but nothing more,so to me means that it receives but that can send the command to the TV

Thanks for all your help in advance

Cheers,

Giammaria

Jan 17, 2020 11:19 AM in response to vazandrew

thanks again

According to the apple TV page the sony TV should support Bravia Sync (sony name for hdmi CEC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205225 ) and my TV supports it as per specification https://www.sony.ch/de/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-40z5800/specifications) )

Furthermore I am able to switch off and on the TV from the Apple Tv remote controller and that to me means CEC is there...

Searching on the Sony support I found this post https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00126149 but that is to control the CEC compliant devices with my sony remore controller....

googling "sony bravia sync apple tv" I found a lot of complains on Sony and Apple support sites.

Still trying to find a solution

Jan 17, 2020 11:28 AM in response to johnmaryP

CEC on the TV will only allow your TV to turn on/off along with Apple TV and switch to the appropriate input. Volume control on a TV can only be done using IR, and the phone does not support that hence the requirement for a receiver in that scenario. I posted the quote and support article above for reference.

Any complaints regarding CEC on a TV would be in relation to those having problems with the aformentioned controls, not volume, and can happen no matter which device it is connected to. In those cases it is the TV manufacturer who would need to fix it.

Your only way to control volume would be via the Siri remote or by pairing a universal remote, unless you had a CEC enabled receiver. Only then would you be able to use the app along with the phone's physical volume buttons.

how to control TV volume from the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.