Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes and Homepod constantly disconnect

I can play a Apple Music playlist on my iPhone or iPad to a combination of Airport Express connected to Amps and two 4 HomePods - No Problem

However when I play the same Apple Music playlist (or any music) via iTunes (yes on multiple PC) to the same speakers (AE & HomePods) the AE Speakers continue to play. The HomePods disconnect and reconnect at random. The AE Speakers remain connected. The Airplay list in iTunes show a " - " sign next to the HomePod devices when they are disconnected.

I have tried all 3 of the network settings options for HomePod. Tried resetting them. Network is strong and reliable.

HomePod, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 10:47 AM

Yep, still happening to me too, when using Airplay.

Until we figure out what's going on, I can suggest an alternative. There's a product called Airfoil from Rogue Ameoba. It sits on top of the Airplay architecture to send music out to your speakers. I actually prefer it to the Music Airplay interface, as the speaker volume window can stay active. Also, you can install an app "Airfoil Satellite" on old iPhones or iPads you aren't using and they can act as additional speaker nodes. A few other nice features too, like hiding Airplay devices you're not using. Note that I'm not in any way associated with this company. I just like their product. They do have a free trial you can try.

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2020 10:47 AM in response to brunofromneerach

Yep, still happening to me too, when using Airplay.

Until we figure out what's going on, I can suggest an alternative. There's a product called Airfoil from Rogue Ameoba. It sits on top of the Airplay architecture to send music out to your speakers. I actually prefer it to the Music Airplay interface, as the speaker volume window can stay active. Also, you can install an app "Airfoil Satellite" on old iPhones or iPads you aren't using and they can act as additional speaker nodes. A few other nice features too, like hiding Airplay devices you're not using. Note that I'm not in any way associated with this company. I just like their product. They do have a free trial you can try.

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

Jan 20, 2020 10:01 AM in response to SBlythe

Hello SBlythe and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you're having an issue with music playing consistently from your HomePods when they are getting content via AirPlay from a PC running iTunes.

Start by making sure that all devices including the HomePods are updated.

Update HomePod - Apple Support

If you continue to have this issue when all devices in the chain are running the most current software versions, reach out to Apple Support for additional options.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Cheers.

Feb 13, 2020 10:09 AM in response to Jim Norman

Same problem here. I am streaming music from a mac mini with iTunes 12.8.2.3 to several third party AirPlay 1 speakers and two HomePods. The third party speakers just work fine while the HomePods randomly get disconnected from iTunes and stop playing. Performing a pause/play they are immediately re-connected and start playing again ... until the next disconnection. I like the sound of the HomePods. Though, if Apple does not fix that soon they will go on sale.

Mar 8, 2020 3:41 PM in response to SBlythe

I have had this same issue with iTunes and airplay to Homepod. 28 seconds into a track the sound stops followed by the "-" symbol next to the speaker in the list of connected devices. The sound comes back about 8 seconds from the end of the track

and goes into the next song just to repeat the same. This does not happen 100% of the time but it is very common and the timing is always the same. You'll see in the attached picture all other Airplay devices are humming along. Only the office speaker has the "-" which is my Homepod. If I click on the minus, the sound comes back only to go back out 28 seconds into another song.

I have no bandwidth issues (Link rate is 866 Mbps to the Homepod). I've reset the homepod multiple times, restarted router, computer, etc. I've even flashed the bios on the off chance that something weird was going on there. The issue persisted.

I decided to try a brand new Homepod. It was on version 11.2.5 out of the box. After set up, I did not update it. Guess what...it played perfectly for over an hour. VICTORY! .......Unfortunately, it would not stay connected to the network when it was idle. I had to unplug it then plug it back in to get it to reconnect. I decided to update to 13.3.1 in hopes of correcting the connectivity issue and everything working fine with playback.

After updating, two tracks into playing on 13.3.1, the infamous 28 second "-" symbol returned. The issue is with 13.3.1 (or a prior release).

My setup is iTunes streaming from PC to multiple Airplay compatible devices with an Orbi mesh network. Music is a mix of my own library as well as Apple Music. The music type playing has no bearing on the issue. I've recreated the issue both ways. The only common factor is 13.3.1.

It's also important to note that I can play from my phone to the speaker with no issue. The problem here is that the speaker "takes over" the playlist. A bit after starting to play, I can no longer skip or control from iTunes on my phone. I have to open the Home app to control the playback. This is with hand off to Homepod disabled. This is one issue I've not wasted time troubleshooting but thought I'd mention it.

I spent a LONNNNG time with Apple support and not only did they have me recreate the issue for them on Homepod they had me experience the same issue on airplay through AppleTV. They acknowledge there's an issue and they are aware. Let's hope for a resolution soon. Best advice is to contact them and go through the motions so they can gather data on this issue.

Sorry for the long post but thought I'd share since others are experiencing a very similar issue.

Jan 20, 2020 6:15 PM in response to i_rina

May have found the issue. Sometimes the iHome Plugs get disconnected from the network (any time the power goes off or router or wifi goes down) and do not reconnect to the Home App Correctly. This causes the Home App to get bowl-locked with devices "Updating" or "not Available" resetting the iHome Plugs clears the issue with the Home App and that fixes the HomePod Play issues.

Feb 13, 2020 11:10 AM in response to Jim Norman

I have spent a lot of time on trying to solve this. Today its stable. 2 things i found solved it. 1) I have 15 or so smart Outlets from iHOME that i used to turn on / off some devices (Landscape lighting etc). Every time they lost WIFI internet (Internet goes out or power restarts the router) they would not reconnect to Homekit and wifi correctly. easily solved was to unplug and re plug - BUT a real hassle. They would show up as no response on the Homekit app and other things in home kit including the Homepods would fail to connect in Homekit and via airplay. Also if you turn these items STATUS OFF in Homekit it significantly reduces the problems Homekit has of "locking up" with these non responsive devices. For me it was just too much of a hassle with the iHOME and other Outlet plugs and i just converted all these outlets by adding a Caseta On/Off switch on each of the plugs (Caseta Lutron switches work flawlessly with Homekit - I have over 200 - Note you need a hub and a hub only supports 50 devices)

anyway once the iHome plugs were gone, my Airplay, Homepods and Homekit was worked great. Note i tried several other plugs - they all had the same problem.

Mar 8, 2020 4:36 PM in response to Jim Norman

It could be. The tech didn't really provide much insight into the problem other than they were aware of this issue then had me try the AppleTV to confirm the same issue there.

I did try Airfoil tonight based on your suggestion. I'm running Windows which they no longer support but still provide a download. It ran flawlessly for several songs but suddenly started sending static to all speakers. Like an untuned tv channel white noise. So, it looks like that won't be an alternative for me.

Itunes and Homepod constantly disconnect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.