Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting calls with Do Not Disturb on

I have Do Not Disturb on and am still getting junk calls (no one on contact list). How can this be?

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 1:01 PM

No. No security is broken. There is something else going on in your settings I believe.

1. What is the REPEATED CALLS set to? Is it set to ON or OFF? IF it is set to ON then the callers are making two calls within 3 minutes. First one gets blocked by DO NOT DISTURB and the second call (made within 3 minutes of the first call) is allowed through.
  2. What is the SILENCE set to? Silence only when iPhone is LOCKED or is it set to ALWAYS? If it is set to Silence when Locked the all calls will go through when the iPhone is NOT LOCKED. If it is set to ALWAYS then all incoming will be blocked but the 3 minute rule mentioned above remains in effect unless you have repeated calls set to OFF.
  3. Finally, you have allowed incoming calls from contacts so make sure it is not set to EVERYONE (I know you mentioned above that is set to Contacts only.

Axel F.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2020 1:01 PM in response to MJM00

No. No security is broken. There is something else going on in your settings I believe.

1. What is the REPEATED CALLS set to? Is it set to ON or OFF? IF it is set to ON then the callers are making two calls within 3 minutes. First one gets blocked by DO NOT DISTURB and the second call (made within 3 minutes of the first call) is allowed through.
  2. What is the SILENCE set to? Silence only when iPhone is LOCKED or is it set to ALWAYS? If it is set to Silence when Locked the all calls will go through when the iPhone is NOT LOCKED. If it is set to ALWAYS then all incoming will be blocked but the 3 minute rule mentioned above remains in effect unless you have repeated calls set to OFF.
  3. Finally, you have allowed incoming calls from contacts so make sure it is not set to EVERYONE (I know you mentioned above that is set to Contacts only.

Axel F.

Jan 17, 2020 11:55 AM in response to MJM00

Go To Settings-->>Do Not Disturb-->>Allow calls from , What do you have chosen here? If it is Everyone or a certain group that you have created then those calls will come through. Make sure silence is set to ALWAYS. See if REPEATED CALLS setting is correct. If it is set to ON then anyone who calls again within 3 minutes of the first call will be able to get through.

Axel F.

Jan 17, 2020 12:34 PM in response to Axel Foley

All that was done (silence and set only to allow calls from contact list). So problem is not solved. Perhaps this might help: I have had Do Not Disturb on for years, and this problem began only this week, after I sent on my PC (not phone) a search for local contractors, giving my gmail, not my number. After that, two calls got through from contractors on my iphone. I can only deduce that through the PC strangers can get data that allow them to break past the Do Not Disturb security. Am I really the first case of this happening?

Getting calls with Do Not Disturb on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.