Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Item “filename alias” is used by macOS and can’t be opened.

I am re-opening this issue that I found on an earlier post, updating it to reflect my OS. The only previous response was not helpful.

Without any cause that I can see all of my alias links are now broken. When trying to open a file with the alias link I get the following, Item “{filename} alias” is used by macOS and can’t be opened. Finder icon has changed to a blank paper icon with no alias arrow. Permissions are set to read/write in the the get info window. Kind says: "alias data" instead of "Alias". All the broken alias files show a modified date of July 16, 2019 at 10:08 am. I can make new alias files that work but would like to fix instead of recreate all of them. Any thoughts why this happened, and how I can fix. Running Catalina 10.15.2

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 8:48 PM

Select the alias file, CTRL- or RIGHT-click to open the Get Info window. In the General panel you will see the following section:

Click on the Select New Original button from which you can re-direct the alias to the file it should be connected to.

Similar questions

1 reply

Item “filename alias” is used by macOS and can’t be opened.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.