Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just upgraded to Catalina - "New Folder" is greyed out in finder. Can't create new folders.

Hi All,

Has anyone else experienced this? Doesn't matter what location. I can't create new folders in my core documents folders. Argh!! I'm using a Mac Mini Later 2012 model with 16GB RAM, which according to my research SHOULD be able to run Catalina.

I've Googled the heck out of this and found info on the "split volume" aspect of Catalina, which is visible in my Disk Utility.

However, I don't see the split volumes in finder. Supposedly you can only write to the data volume. Where is it located?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 11:43 AM

In that case, it's possible the Finder suffered a glitch. Press Command-Option-Esc, select Finder from the list, then click on the Relaunch button. Test if that solves the problem. Next, restart the computer and see if that solves the problem.

If the above is no help, then do the following:

1. Open Disk Utility and run First Aid on the disk.
  2. Make a backup of the startup disk.
  3. Re-download Catalina: Get macOS Catalina via Software Update.
  4. Re-install Catalina. This will not erase the disk.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2020 11:43 AM in response to RegisMS

In that case, it's possible the Finder suffered a glitch. Press Command-Option-Esc, select Finder from the list, then click on the Relaunch button. Test if that solves the problem. Next, restart the computer and see if that solves the problem.

If the above is no help, then do the following:

1. Open Disk Utility and run First Aid on the disk.
  2. Make a backup of the startup disk.
  3. Re-download Catalina: Get macOS Catalina via Software Update.
  4. Re-install Catalina. This will not erase the disk.

Jan 17, 2020 8:40 PM in response to RegisMS

No problem here. Sure you have permission to write to the folder where you are trying to create a new folder? Have you tried using the keyboard shortcut, COMMAND-SHIFT-N?

There is no need to specifically select the Data volume. The Finder will write your files to the Data volume, automatically.

Jan 19, 2020 11:14 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

Thanks for your reply. Permissions sounds like a logical path to check out. That could be it.

I'm on a mac mini which I purchased new. There have been no other registered users. Maybe Catalina has

stiffer security functions? Researching now.

The keyboard shortcut, COMMAND-SHIFT-N does not create a new folder.

Thank you!

Just upgraded to Catalina - "New Folder" is greyed out in finder. Can't create new folders.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.