Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I take a picture with my iPhone it gets saved as a heic, not a jpeg, which means I cannot move it (export it to a website)

When I take a picture with my iPhone, it gets saved as a heic, not jpeg, which means I cannot move it (export it to a website). How do I change the photo to a jpeg? Is it a setting on my phone or my computer that I must change?

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 10:20 PM

Great question. SeaGypSea, your iPhone is fine and is doing exactly what it is programmed to do. Ever since iOS 11 and then into iOS 12 and now in the current iOS 13, the new method of saving photos is HEIC. It is commonly known as High Efficiency Image File. The idea behind it is to streamline the size of the photo file and yet be able to maintain the original quality of the image. This way the user can get more files on the iPhone's storage. Those are the advantages.

The drawback is that PC running windows do not natively convert the files to Jpeg for use widely. The Windows user ends up manually converting the photo files. Several ways to do it and methods are listed once a Google search is performed.

Long story short- If you would like your iPhone to save photos in standard Jpeg format then do the following-

Go To Settings-->>Camera-->>Formats and then Select Most Compatible

Hope that helps.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2020 10:20 PM in response to Seagypsea

Great question. SeaGypSea, your iPhone is fine and is doing exactly what it is programmed to do. Ever since iOS 11 and then into iOS 12 and now in the current iOS 13, the new method of saving photos is HEIC. It is commonly known as High Efficiency Image File. The idea behind it is to streamline the size of the photo file and yet be able to maintain the original quality of the image. This way the user can get more files on the iPhone's storage. Those are the advantages.

The drawback is that PC running windows do not natively convert the files to Jpeg for use widely. The Windows user ends up manually converting the photo files. Several ways to do it and methods are listed once a Google search is performed.

Long story short- If you would like your iPhone to save photos in standard Jpeg format then do the following-

Go To Settings-->>Camera-->>Formats and then Select Most Compatible

Hope that helps.

Axel F.

When I take a picture with my iPhone it gets saved as a heic, not a jpeg, which means I cannot move it (export it to a website)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.