Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lock the dock to one screen?

When I connect my MacBook Pro to an external monitor, the dock appears on the screen where I last left the cursor in the dock's position (in my case, the bottom). This irritates me. Is there some way, through a setting or a third-party app, to lock the dock to my MBP's screen?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 11:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 9:03 PM

But unfortunately, that method also takes away the external screen's menu bar, which is very important to me. On the other hand, it also unifies the two screens' hotspots, which I think is kind of cool. But I need that menu bar on top of my externals! So I hope in the future Apple incorporates some more flexibility in setting the behavior/appearance of the dock and the menu bar (and hotspots) independently.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2020 9:03 PM in response to Tensakun

But unfortunately, that method also takes away the external screen's menu bar, which is very important to me. On the other hand, it also unifies the two screens' hotspots, which I think is kind of cool. But I need that menu bar on top of my externals! So I hope in the future Apple incorporates some more flexibility in setting the behavior/appearance of the dock and the menu bar (and hotspots) independently.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Jan 24, 2020 11:58 AM in response to Tensakun

Hey Tensakun,

If your displays are set up in "Extended desktop" mode (see: Use external monitors with your Mac), you should be able to set the "primary display". This will have the effect of locking the Dock to one specific display. Checking "Displays have separate Spaces" (see: Change Mission Control preferences on Mac) should help with getting your Menubar to show on both displays at the same time.

Cheers

Jan 20, 2020 3:13 PM in response to Tensakun

Greetings Tensakun,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're looking for assistance with setting the default location of your Dock when using an external display with your Mac.

Check out the following support article, which provides some details on how to change your primary display: Use external monitors with your Mac

Cheers!

lock the dock to one screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.