Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive (SSD) is impossible to cleanup since it is filling up itself on 10.13.6

Hi, I ran into a problem... I run two old OSX on an old MBP 2010, on SSD. The one I am experiencing problems on is High Sierra 10.13.6, it namely fills up any free space on my hard drive even tho it was told to use 2TB of ICloud drive... I deleted everything from it and it still consumes nearly all of assigned 160GB as a system partition where OSX itself uses only 12GB, Pictures and its library is around 15GB and AppleMusic folders together with all ITunes data is about 40. It summed up gives about 70GB of space for the system but well.. There's no space left at all and the system is constantly telling me to optimize the drive... This is very annoying, maybe anyone could find the solution where the hidden files could be? I already traced the space loss seem to be within the Users folder under my login name, but even tho I got all the hidden files visible, there is nothing that takes such size... Any advice anybody?

MacBook Pro 17", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 3:15 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 18, 2020 12:00 PM in response to BDAqua

I'm sorry but no clue what TRIM is, it's been a while since I been playing with my macs for fun and education. Now I just need it to run more or less smoothly since the family consumes all the spare time. I just took a look back at the drive now, after a reboot and i also left the MBP for a while so it does what it wants... So it's still the same. The partition is 160G, boot stuff and the installer takes cirka 10G, then comes OSX 6G, Itunes 40G and Pictures 18G... So it still sums up to 74G not 160... I think I will try that app you gave me first before I do anything else. This however seem like a bug to me, once I had a virus that was taking up all the free space by multiplying itself in extreme quantities and with random filenames... Pretty annoying one but it was on windows...

Just one small question, is it normal that the sleeping MBP is turning the external HDD on at 10 minutes interval? Just wondering if it's not another issue. Maybe a reinstall could be a good idea.

Thanks for answer.

Jan 18, 2020 12:18 PM in response to BDAqua

BINGO! The app you shown me solved the issue.

Thank you BDAqua <3

It looks like backups of my old Iphone5 took up all that space, but why wasn't it listed under regular Finder window I got no clue :( I checked all the folders and there was nothing visible that was 50Gigs... But yeah, it's a great piece of software you shown me thanks a lot mate. I will definitely use it extensively from now on.

Hard drive (SSD) is impossible to cleanup since it is filling up itself on 10.13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.