Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which cable do i need to connect macbook air to an hp printer?

I've bought a second hand HP Photosmart 2610 and just need to know which cable i need to connect it to a MacBook Air. I have a drawer full of cables! Want to check before I go and buy a new one! Thanks!!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 10:24 AM

Doing a Google search it appears your printer has

• USB
  • PictBridge
  • 802.3 Ethernet connectivity

So either attach the printer to your home network via an Ethernet cable

or use a USB cable Type-A to Type-B cable.

Now what kinds of connectors does your Macbook Air have? USB3 Type-A connectors,

or USB-C connectors

If you have USB-C connectors, then you will need an adapter if you want to use USB. The simplest would be a USB-C to USB3 adapter. But you can get full featured docks and mini-docks that give you the USB3.

However, personally I would setup the Ethernet printing, then you do not have to cable your Mac to your Printer. Just use your home network to print from anywhere in your home. I have my printer setup in a closet that also has power and an Ethernet port (I thought ahead when upgrading my home 😀).

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2020 10:24 AM in response to Technoeejit3

Doing a Google search it appears your printer has

• USB
  • PictBridge
  • 802.3 Ethernet connectivity

So either attach the printer to your home network via an Ethernet cable

or use a USB cable Type-A to Type-B cable.

Now what kinds of connectors does your Macbook Air have? USB3 Type-A connectors,

or USB-C connectors

If you have USB-C connectors, then you will need an adapter if you want to use USB. The simplest would be a USB-C to USB3 adapter. But you can get full featured docks and mini-docks that give you the USB3.

However, personally I would setup the Ethernet printing, then you do not have to cable your Mac to your Printer. Just use your home network to print from anywhere in your home. I have my printer setup in a closet that also has power and an Ethernet port (I thought ahead when upgrading my home 😀).

which cable do i need to connect macbook air to an hp printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.