Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

facetime claims no reachable addresses

When I try to connect to FaceTime using my MacBook Pro, I input my AppleID and password correctly. (If I intentionally put in the wrong password it rejects the log in. ) With the correct credentials, FaceTime thinks for about 30 seconds and it responds with a red-font error message stating: "This account has no reachable addresses. Please sign in to appleid.apple.com" in order to add one.

I log in to the apple ID website. It lists all sorts of information that is correct. However, there is no option for "reachable addresses". I do see "contactable addresses", and there is my primary gmail and my phone number listed in that list. So, FaceTime isn't lying. I do not have any reachable addresses. Instead I have contactable addresses.

Some questions:

• Is a "reachable address" different from a "contactable address"? Seems like the same thing but why does Apple use two distinct words?
  • Maybe this will never work because I do not have an iCloud account?
  • Maybe this will never work because I do not have an iPhone?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 7:54 AM

Hi there mathman99,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are unable to sign in and use Messages on your Mac. I am happy to help.

I appreciate all of the details shared so far! I'll first address your questions, and then assist with some steps to try.

-When you navigate to Manage your Apple ID - Apple and sign in with your Apple ID credentials, you would click Edit in the Account section. This is where you should see 'Reachable At' near the top-right of the Account section. You can add additional email addresses and a rescue email address from that section: About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support.

-When you create an Apple ID account, it can be used for both iCloud and the iTunes & App Store: How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support.

-To use FaceTime on your Mac, you just need a Mac with OS X Lion 10.7 or later, an Internet connection, and a built-in or connected microphone or camera: Use FaceTime on your Mac - Apple Support.

Give these steps a go to see if it helps get FaceTime working on your Mac: If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac - Apple Support.

Best regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2020 7:54 AM in response to mathman99

Hi there mathman99,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are unable to sign in and use Messages on your Mac. I am happy to help.

I appreciate all of the details shared so far! I'll first address your questions, and then assist with some steps to try.

-When you navigate to Manage your Apple ID - Apple and sign in with your Apple ID credentials, you would click Edit in the Account section. This is where you should see 'Reachable At' near the top-right of the Account section. You can add additional email addresses and a rescue email address from that section: About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support.

-When you create an Apple ID account, it can be used for both iCloud and the iTunes & App Store: How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support.

-To use FaceTime on your Mac, you just need a Mac with OS X Lion 10.7 or later, an Internet connection, and a built-in or connected microphone or camera: Use FaceTime on your Mac - Apple Support.

Give these steps a go to see if it helps get FaceTime working on your Mac: If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac - Apple Support.

Best regards.

facetime claims no reachable addresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.