Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2006 iMac 17” Model A1208 - screen won’t stay on

I recently purchased a 2006 iMac 17” model A1208. When I bought I was told I would need to install OS X leopard. I have an original DVD of leopard. Turned on iMac, the DVD started up and installed the OS properly, screen remained on entire time, no issues. Restarted as required to complete installation, now the screen comes on for a split second and then is off. I can hear the music playing and the voice over for setup but screen will not come back on. Any ideas what is causing it and how to fix?

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 8:43 PM

Two possibilities come to mind:

1. The display is dead.
    2. The PRAM battery is dead.

Hard to say what you should do. There haven't been new parts made for that model since around 2014 meaning they may be hard to find. Apple will not do repairs on obsolete models, so you would need to find someone with repair experience on Macs to check it out and/or repair it, if repair is feasible.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2020 8:43 PM in response to SixxxElevn

Two possibilities come to mind:

1. The display is dead.
    2. The PRAM battery is dead.

Hard to say what you should do. There haven't been new parts made for that model since around 2014 meaning they may be hard to find. Apple will not do repairs on obsolete models, so you would need to find someone with repair experience on Macs to check it out and/or repair it, if repair is feasible.

Jan 18, 2020 8:53 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the reply, Kappy.

while I was posting the original post I unplugged everything(power supply, mouse, keyboard) it was about 10-15 minutes in all. Plugged it back in and pushed power and screen came on fine and I was able to complete the set up for the most part(now having issues connecting to WiFi). Decided to restart to see if that would help the WiFi. and now screen flashed on and went black again. Sheesh. :)

Jan 19, 2020 1:56 PM in response to SixxxElevn

I hate to tell you, but the 2006 iMac had a lot of hardware issues from bulging/leaking capacitors on the Logic Board and Power Supply to defective LCD panels. These computers are very hard to open up since the release levers for the front cover are very difficult to access so replacing/removing the PRAM battery is not easy.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 19, 2020 8:09 PM in response to SixxxElevn

I bought one of those new and it wasn't to bad. It was rock solid for about 6 years and then the display started getting pixelated lines. So I opened it up, disconnected the internal display and installed a 500GB WD HD, set a 21.5" LG display in front of it and plugging that into the mini DVI port, then I used it that way for several more years. I considered myself one of the lucky ones, because some of those Early Core Duo's had Display and SuperDrive issues within the first year.

2006 iMac 17” Model A1208 - screen won’t stay on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.