Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Install Leopard

I have a MacBook Pro 2009. I installed Snow Leopard on it and wanted to upgrade to the next OS. I have the factory disc for Lion, but every time I click the install and the computer needs to restart from the disc, the screen remains blank white and the apple logo will not appear. It's like the screen freezes. I hear the disc inside whirling around for a minute and then quit. I eventually have to reboot and eject the disc so the mac can start back up. What am I doing wrong?

MacBook

Posted on Mar 7, 2020 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2020 10:31 PM

Where did you get the Mac OS X Lion DVD, Apple never released this version on DVD.

It was only ever released via download or for a limited time a bootable USB stick.

If by factory disk you mean the grey DVD(s) then they can only be installed on the

specific model of mac that they came with.

To upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 click on this download link,

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

once downloaded double-click to install. Having installed this go back to the App Store and

check for any further available downloads.

If you are still not able to install Mac OS X Lion, you can upgrade directly to Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Follow the instructions here, How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan – Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2020 10:31 PM in response to KBOTJones

Where did you get the Mac OS X Lion DVD, Apple never released this version on DVD.

It was only ever released via download or for a limited time a bootable USB stick.

If by factory disk you mean the grey DVD(s) then they can only be installed on the

specific model of mac that they came with.

To upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 click on this download link,

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

once downloaded double-click to install. Having installed this go back to the App Store and

check for any further available downloads.

If you are still not able to install Mac OS X Lion, you can upgrade directly to Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Follow the instructions here, How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan – Apple Support

Mar 7, 2020 11:23 AM in response to KBOTJones

Have you upgraded Snow Leopard to 10.6.8? If not, then you need to before you can install Lion. In order to boot from the Lion DVD:

Booting From An OS X Installer Disc

1. Insert OS X Installer Disc into the optical drive.
  2. Restart the computer.
  3. Immediately, at or before the chime, press and hold down the "C" key.
  4. Release the key when the spinning gear below the dark gray Apple logo appears.
  5. Wait for installer to finish loading.

Can't Install Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.