Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove Noto, STIX & foreign System Fonts from ADOBE apps

Those of us who work with Photoshop and other Adobe apps have a problem with Noto and STIX fonts which create these MASSIVE blocks of "broken font" lists in our Adobe app font pulldown. Pages worth. Which makes scrolling through them to find our actual working fonts a major pain. Add to this foreign language fonts which exacerbate the problem. Example:

Most of use would simply like to toggle these unfunctional fonts off from being displayed in our font list in either Catalina, or our Adobe app. We don't care which.

Unfortunately Noto and STIX fonts are part of the Catalina system.

So, you CAN NOT delete, move, disable or otherwise hide them.

FONT BOOK is useless as well.

As are ALL other font manager apps, because these are system fonts.

I have seen a questionable hacky solution that involves accessing your system from a parallel Catalina install, but don't want to break my system.

Adobe forums are just as useless as Apple's on this topic.

"Get used to it, write a report" is about the level of trouble-shooting you can expect.

The ONLY solution I have come up with, and I am offering this to my Adobe using brothers and sisters who get as annoyed by it as I do, is this:

In your Adobe app you can "Favorite" font's by clicking the little star to the left of each font. I have favorited every single usable font I want - leaving out NOTO, STIX and the unused foreign fonts.

Then you set your adobe font pulldown to show ONLY favorited fonts and BOOM - no more NOTO, STIX or foreign language fonts.

The downside of course is that you have effectively disabled your ability to actually "favorite" fonts. But honestly I don't. I rarely favorited fonts anyway.

Hope this helps somebody.

Jol

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 11:57 AM

This gets worse with every OS, and frankly is a straight-up slap in the face of all creatives and Adobe users—who are, ostensibly the core of the Apple user base. Beyond unacceptable.

Get it together, Apple. This is ridiculous.

Similar questions

12 replies

Jan 21, 2020 11:02 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you for posting that link. In it Kurt Lang provided an extensive explanation of proper font management. I have just glanced over it, but I will read all of it in detail when I have time. Kurt explains the specific reasons for keeping the Apple fonts, and I have no argument with him. He clearly knows what he is talking about and I suggest that everyone reads his material. (I saved it as a PDF.) That said, I still see no reason for keeping those many foreign fonts in my computer, since they will never be used or displayed by me in my daily work. I am not making any recommendation for anyone else, but for me personally, I will leave all such foreign fonts removed. There are so many of them to have to wade through. I suspect that in doing the font removals I mentioned above, I likely removed some other Apple fonts, but so far I have not noticed any issues. If some do come up, they can be reinstalled using the methods Kurt describes. This has been a very interesting discussion for me.

Jan 20, 2020 2:14 PM in response to Joel Pro

I understand your frustration. In the alternative, if you, or someone else, wishes to actually get rid of unwanted fonts (including those Apple installed fonts) you can do so. You are perfectly safe in starting up your computer from an alternative OS source and merely deleating those unwanted fonts by dragging them directly from the Fonts folder in your HD to the trash. There is not other way to delete them. I have done this and it caused no problems.

I mention this because I am not an Adobe user, so I can not use your solution, but I still was overwhelmed by all those unwanted fonts. Thanks for sharing your solution. I'm sure people will benefit from it.

Jan 21, 2020 4:12 AM in response to Ronasara

Thanks for that. The reason I wouldn't do that is my assumption, and I could be wrong, is that is that removing bundled system fonts that ship with the OS is not a good idea, as it means there will probably be some "non-optimal" replacement of that font with a different one that may not be ideal for the purpose somewhere else down the line. And I don't like to advocate solutions like that without knowing that impact. It may be fine, and I could very well be wrong - but I don't have sufficient experience with the unexpected outcomes to advise that.

Feb 11, 2020 9:04 AM in response to Joel Pro

Wow, thank you so much for this workaround! Catalina is really starting to irritate the feck out of me and, if I thought it would do any good, I'd tell Apple to stop Microsofting me with their updates but, well, that whole listening thing... *sigh*

And the suggested solution from the monitors here - sorry, no, I have a few minutes to check my fave fonts, within Adobe but I don't have the time to learn how to figure out their IT solutions. That's a hard no.

Ok, off my soapbox. Again, thanks for this, Joel; simple, if a little tedious, but I'll take it!

Sara

Jun 5, 2020 6:53 AM in response to Joel Pro

Now this is a great workaround. Thanks so much, Joel.

I also never favorited fonts either, using Fontexplorer to (de-)activate my choice of fonts.

The foreign fonts annoyed me too, but at least they were on the bottom and thus easily ignorable.

This is an excellent way to shorten the list to fonts you actually are using.

Donald Beekman

Remove Noto, STIX & foreign System Fonts from ADOBE apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.