Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri is draining my battery

Why is Siri draining my battery. It happens even when Siri is turned off in settings. My phone can have a 100% charge before going to bed and the phone is dead in the morning.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 9:25 AM

Battery Health says 100%. When I go to Battery usage Siri is at the top at 55% it has been as high as the 70's. The next is Mail at 20% background activity. I have gone through Settings and turned off show Siri suggestions in app and learn from this app which has helped some. My batter used to last almost 2 days. Last week it died in 5-6 hours with very little use.

125 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2020 9:25 AM in response to KiltedTim

Battery Health says 100%. When I go to Battery usage Siri is at the top at 55% it has been as high as the 70's. The next is Mail at 20% background activity. I have gone through Settings and turned off show Siri suggestions in app and learn from this app which has helped some. My batter used to last almost 2 days. Last week it died in 5-6 hours with very little use.

Feb 13, 2020 7:55 AM in response to rspencer629

Looks like I spoke too soon. The battery is lasting longer than it was but only lasting about 12 hours. Up until about 3 weeks ago it would last a good 1 1/2 days. I have an iPhone Xr, Battery health 100%, Siri is turned off and is still the main battery hog at 60% with mail coming in 2nd at 32%. Something must be wrong with one of the last updates. When my phone was at its worst the battery was only lasting about 6hrs while sitting on a shelf and not being used. The reset helped get a little more life out of the phone but it's still disappointing. I have to make sure to bring a charging cord with me whenever I leave the house. I upgraded from an iPhone 6 due to battery issues but the new model is no better and for a while there was worse. Hopefully Apple comes up with a fix.

Feb 22, 2020 12:19 PM in response to rspencer629

I have an 11 Pro and I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. I did reset all the settings and it did not solve anything. After I've turned off Siri completely, my battery life was good again. Since today, my battery life is bad again and according to the battery settings, Siri is eating up battery, even with Siri completely turned off.

This is driving me crazy. Obviously I'm not the only one having the same problem and I'm wondering if Apple is aware of this issue.

May 7, 2020 12:40 PM in response to Whyapplewhyyy

Can you please try the following:

• Logout from iCloud on you iPhone
  • Turn off your iPhone
  • Logout from iCloud on your Apple TV (plug out the power cable)
  • Turn off your Apple TV
  • Wait 5 minutes
  • Start your iPhone
  • Login to iCloud
  • Start you Apple TV
  • Login to iCloud

It seems that Apple had issues with iCloud. Please try that and let us know if it works for you.

May 8, 2020 9:45 AM in response to Rusty_66

You might try changing how often Mail checks your accounts for new messages. I changed my phone to check every 30 minutes and now my phone is lasting from 7am to 10 pm while working from home. I also did the phone reset. I'm still having issues with the contacts portion having a long delay (about 30 seconds when I look up a name).

To change how often the mail app checks for new messages:

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Go to Passwords & Accounts.
  3. Tap Fetch New Data.
  4. Turn off the Push toggle switch.
  5. Tap each email account that uses push (the account will show Push instead of Fetch).
  6. Select Fetch from the next screen so that the fetch settings are applied to that account.
  7. Tap the arrow at the top to return to the previous screen.
  8. Scroll to the bottom and choose a fetch schedule. Options include Automatically, Manually, Hourly, Every 30 Minutes, and Every 15 Minutes.

Jul 25, 2020 10:12 AM in response to rspencer629

Same issue with disabled Siri consuming battery. Also same with mail app. After deleting mail, disabling Siri and resetting the settings I still had the same issue. With mail STILL consuming better as “recently delete app”! See all the light blue in the screenshot below.

I finally fixed it, working normally the past two days, by backing up the phone and doing a factory restore from the new backup.

IMHO this is ridiculous coming from apple let alone their own apps!!!

Apr 3, 2020 9:18 AM in response to rspencer629

I've installed iOS 13.4 and Siri and Mail background Activity are the main draws on the battery. The battery might be lasting a little longer. It's hard to tell because I'm not really using the phone since I'm working from home. If I take it off the charger at 7:30am and it just sits with little to no activity it will last till 10 or 11 pm. I'm now having problems with contacts and placing calls. There is a big lag in getting the screen to work when trying to look up a contact or make a call from contacts. The screen seems to lock up when using contacts but nothing else.

Apr 18, 2020 7:17 AM in response to rspencer629

I am having the same issue as well. Every app and iOS is up to date.

My phone went from lasting close to 2 full days with moderate use... to now lasting a few hours with little use.

Siri is using upwards of 70% of my battery with my phone idle. This is with Siri completely off.

Apple support was not able to solve this issue.

I tried everything support suggested including a few restores from computer then iCloud.

Got a brand new XR and the issue is still happening.

So this is 100% a software issue.

The hardware is brand new with 100% battery capacity.

I still have to work and must now carry a battery back up to use my brand new phone.

An engineer needs to figure this out.

Please!

Apr 19, 2020 7:27 AM in response to pmhabe

After a hard restore from iTunes and Siri shut off, my battery is still draining but now it's Mail Background Activity eating it up. I have had to set all mail settings to "manual" but battery life is still far below what is should be for a relatively new iPhone X. I spoke to the Tech Dept. and their solution was to take my phone (and new iPad which is also having problems with battery life) to an Apple Store to have the batteries replaced. I am positive this is NOT a battery problem. Hope they come up with a fix. I shouldn't have to shut Siri off both new devices and set all my mail settings to manual.

Apr 19, 2020 7:33 AM in response to JoseMendezFromCH

They must be aware judging by the number of people reporting the problem. Also, when I talked to support a few days ago, they didn't even do a battery diagnostic, just told me to call the Tech Dept. When I spoke to the Tech Dept. the battery diagnostic showed the battery was fine, as it should be on a phone that's only a couple of months old. Their solution was to bring both my iPhone and iPad to an Apple Store to have the batteries replaced. This is NOT a battery issue. I did a hard restore from iTunes on my phone and it went from Siri draining the battery (while shut off completely) to Mail Background Activity doing the same thing. I changed all mail settings to "manual" and it's a bit better but nowhere near what a battery performance should be on a relatively new iPhone and a brand new iPad.

Siri is draining my battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.