Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable USB for High Sierra does not work

I created a bootable USB for High Sierra, and createinstallmedia in Terminal confirmed done, but when I Restart a Sierra iMac with Option key held down, it just boots straight to Sierra. USB drive has GUID partition & is format: macOS Extended (journaled).

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 6:57 AM

I have had this issue on a Mac Mini. What I had to do was completely Shutdown; then power on and press the Option key. This showed me the possible boot drives. I don't know why but simply Restarting doesn't work anymore.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 21, 2020 7:03 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I may have a bad batch of USB Drives (I'm investigating), but I discovered that this old iMac (late 2009) does not offer Boot options if I press the <Option> Key with a Restart. However, if I shutdown the Mac & do a full Power-Up re-boot from cold, then the <Option> Key does give the correct result.

Thanks for your answer.

Jan 21, 2020 3:57 AM in response to chg5000

I would try reformatting your USB, open Disk Utility, highlight the Disk not the indented Volume.

Click on Erase, give the Disk a name,

Format: Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

Scheme: GUID Partition Map.

Click Erase.

When done try making the disk bootable using the instructions you used before.

If the installation fails a second time try another USB stick.

Bootable USB for High Sierra does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.