Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Maximized, Visible, Windows in MacOs Catalina?

this is driving me insane...

previously in MacOS (and (shudder) Windows), I could move a window to the external monitor and maximize it. I could have two maximized windows going at once. Now if I maximize one, it kicks the other window to a supplemental desktop which I can swipe to with my magic mouse, but isn't what I wanted. I really would like to have two maximized windows open and visible at once. is that at all possible anymore?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 8:00 AM

It depends on what you mean by "maximize". If you use the "Full Screen" by clicking the green button of a window, then the menu bar hides away; each full screen application will have its own "space" - hence the sliding you describe.

You can split the screen between two windows by clicking and holding the green button.

You can also make a window as large as it fits but keep the menu bar and stay in the same 'space' by option-clicking the green button (that is the old "maximize" behavior).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2020 8:00 AM in response to LobstaJohnson2

It depends on what you mean by "maximize". If you use the "Full Screen" by clicking the green button of a window, then the menu bar hides away; each full screen application will have its own "space" - hence the sliding you describe.

You can split the screen between two windows by clicking and holding the green button.

You can also make a window as large as it fits but keep the menu bar and stay in the same 'space' by option-clicking the green button (that is the old "maximize" behavior).

Two Maximized, Visible, Windows in MacOs Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.