Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG 5K Ultrafine and 12inch Macbook (USB-C Connection Cycling Issues)

I just purchased the latest revision of the 27in 5K (the one that supports 4K over USB-C), which I'm using with my 12 inch MacBook until I upgrade to a MacBook Pro later this year.

I have had no video issues with the USB-C to USB-C connection (since the 12in MacBook does not support Thunderbolt), but I've had pervasive issues with audio, webcam, and USB-C peripherals cycling in and out of connection (e.g. the audio output will switch from my laptop to the monitor speakers every 5-10 seconds, since the computer cycles between recognizing the USB connection of the monitor and not. Additionally, the monitor isn't responding to the brightness slider in display settings.

I've done SMC reset, NVRAM, factory reset, updated to Catalina etc to no avail, I can't get the connection to stick, not even to conduct a firmware update with the LG Screen Utility app.

Could it be a faulty USB-C cable, or a broader issue? I'd like to determine whether or not this is an issue with my laptop or with the monitor, before purchasing a laptop only to find that the monitor is faulty.

If anyone has experienced this issue, I'd appreciate it if you could share your experience or any other solutions. Thanks!

MacBook

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 7:28 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 3, 2020 3:14 PM in response to Lanny

Ah, thanks Lanny, good catch...

2015/2016 models...

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring 2nd Max. Resolution:3840x2160

Details:This model can simultaneously support the internal display as well as up to 3840x2160 on an external display, both at "millions of colors."

Or on the 2017 model...

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring 2nd Max. Resolution: 4096x2304

Details: This model can simultaneously support the internal display as well as up to 4096x2304 at 60 Hz on an external display, both at "millions of colors."

LG 5K Ultrafine and 12inch Macbook (USB-C Connection Cycling Issues)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.