Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not syncing from iPhone to Mac

Photos on Mac says it is updating but it has been doing that for weeks, and newer photos don't show on my Mac.

I have switched off and on iCloud and sync on both Mac and iPhone, restarted both etc. I have tried all tricks and tips but still the newer photos don't show in Photos on the Mac.

The photos and videos are all visible on iCloud.com and it says updated.

iPhone XS (lastest iOS), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with Mojave 10.14.6. All apps updated.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 11:37 AM

I have switched off and on iCloud and sync on both Mac and iPhone, restarted both etc. I have tried all tricks and tips but still the newer photos don't show in Photos on the Mac.

Mike, the switching on and off may be the reason, why the updating never finishes.

When you turn iCloud Photos off and then enable it again, iCloud Photos will start a new upload to iCloud and merge the complete library again into the existing library. You will just have to wait longer.

Your new photos will start downloading from iCloud to your Mac, once the new upload has finished.

But Catalina has brought an added complication. There may be photos in your library, that are not compatible any longer with Photos on Catalina. You have to identify any video or image, that is an unsupported format and cannot be processed any longer by Photos. These items need to bereaved from your Photos Library and converted to a compatible format. Look for old videos or PDF files, or audio files.

And check the status of the upload to iCloud. Search for references files or files "unable to upload" with smart albums as described here: About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2020 11:37 AM in response to Mike__DK

Mike, the switching on and off may be the reason, why the updating never finishes.

When you turn iCloud Photos off and then enable it again, iCloud Photos will start a new upload to iCloud and merge the complete library again into the existing library. You will just have to wait longer.

Your new photos will start downloading from iCloud to your Mac, once the new upload has finished.

But Catalina has brought an added complication. There may be photos in your library, that are not compatible any longer with Photos on Catalina. You have to identify any video or image, that is an unsupported format and cannot be processed any longer by Photos. These items need to bereaved from your Photos Library and converted to a compatible format. Look for old videos or PDF files, or audio files.

And check the status of the upload to iCloud. Search for references files or files "unable to upload" with smart albums as described here: About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

Jan 22, 2020 1:55 AM in response to léonie

léonie,

1. The first thing I did was check on iCloud.com. All photos and videos are there and I can open them. This is NOT about old formats that are not compatible. (Its all photos+videos+screenshots from iPhone or screenshot+pdf made on the Mac.)
  2. I am on Mojave - not Catalina.
  3. I did not start switching off and on as the first step, but as the last. My first step is always to reboot all devices.

At the moment the count on my iPhone is 6533 photos, 305 videos, updating...

On my Mac the count is 6453 photos, 283 videos, updating...

Jan 22, 2020 8:14 AM in response to léonie

I made some experiments on my iPhone with iOS 13.3 and my mAc with macOS 10.14.6 Mojave:

• On Mojave I can still import PDFs to Photos 4.0, but I cannot edit them. When I open a newly imported PDF on my Mojave Macs, I get this error message:
  • On iOS 13.3: When I try to save a PDF from iCloud Drive to Photos, the PDF cannot be saved to the Photos Library.
  • And when I try to edit a PDF on my iPhone I am getting the same error message as in Photos 4.0 on Mojave.
  • The Photos.app at www.icloud.com does not allow me at all to upload a PDF to Photos, neither on my Macs with Mojave (in FireFox or Safari), nor on my Catalina Macs.

Jan 22, 2020 6:46 AM in response to Mike__DK

As you are on Mohave and not Catalina, it should still be syncing, even with PDFs in your library. but the changes in Catalina may have repercussions on older devices. icloud.com should still handle pdfs, because it needs to support older systems, but Photos 5 can no longer handle pdfs. as long as you are having pdfs in your photos library or in icloud photos, they may be causing problems. your iphone with iOS 13 has already the same restrictions as Catalina Macs. My photos library did not sync with iCloud, until I removed the last PDF file and some old quicktime movies from the icloud photos library and the catalina photos library.

Photos not syncing from iPhone to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.