Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you get permission to write on your own MacBook Air

I keep getting the message that I don't have permission to write to the desktop (or any location) on my own MacBook Air. Have tried changing permissions and still get the same message.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 8:45 PM

Using the Finder can you create a new folder at the same location you are trying to save to in Excel?

If you cannot create a new folder using the Finder, then make sure you have a good system backup immediately. After you have a system backup, try rebooting your laptop.

Can you select the "Save As..." option in Excel to save the file with a different name and make a new copy of the file (you may need to hold the Option-click the File menu in Excel to see the "Save As...." option).

Do you have any free space left on your drive?

Are you running any anti-virus or third party security or cleaning apps which may be interfering? Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2020 8:45 PM in response to rjb230

Using the Finder can you create a new folder at the same location you are trying to save to in Excel?

If you cannot create a new folder using the Finder, then make sure you have a good system backup immediately. After you have a system backup, try rebooting your laptop.

Can you select the "Save As..." option in Excel to save the file with a different name and make a new copy of the file (you may need to hold the Option-click the File menu in Excel to see the "Save As...." option).

Do you have any free space left on your drive?

Are you running any anti-virus or third party security or cleaning apps which may be interfering? Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Jan 22, 2020 7:30 AM in response to babowa

In this instance I was trying to create an Excel file on my MacBook Air and save it, and it kept telling me I cannot write to this location. I can do that successfully on my MacBook Pro and was expecting the MacBook Air would behave in the same way. In my permissions section I have Read and Write selected, so don't know why things won't work.

How do you get permission to write on your own MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.