Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud

I want to continue using iCloud on Mail, but do not need iCloud storage as do not have any devices and save all my data, including my emails, either on my Mac mini or HDs. How do I delete what is now stored in my free 5GB iCloud account and continue using iCloud for my Mail emails?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 12:37 PM

13 replies

Jan 22, 2020 5:59 PM in response to lionel196

Your previous post screenshot was from the iCloud Backups section of Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

and that is what I was responding to. The following is from the Mail section of Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

You can free up iCloud space when you delete email messages from your iCloud email account. You can also move email messages from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC, where they no longer count against your iCloud storage.

Use the steps below to delete messages from your account. Remember that messages with large attachments take up more space than simple text emails.

and

Mac or Windows PC

If you use iCloud Mail with a desktop email app, such as Mail on your Mac or Microsoft Outlook on your PC, use these steps:

• Mail on your Mac: Delete the messages that you no longer want, then choose Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items and select your iCloud email account from the menu.

Jan 23, 2020 12:13 PM in response to FoxFifth

I did the backup as explained, but it took only a few seconds to complete from my iCloud InBox which indicated only 13 items that did not reflect the nearly 4GB of iCloud files I'd like to dispose of. I have thousands of email files in folders in the left sidebar of my Mail program dating back to 1996 that I do not want deleted. So I hesitate to proceed. Will those files created via iCloud in recent years that I have trsansferred from my InBoxes and Sent box over the years be deleted when this 4GB of iCloud data is deleted.

Jan 23, 2020 7:36 AM in response to lionel196

See the information in the "Move or copy email from iCloud to your Mac" section of How to use the Mail app on your Mac to move, delete, or copy iCloud email - Apple Support

including the following:

Moving your messages from iCloud to your computer can be useful when

your iCloud mailbox is full, or you want to reduce the amount of iCloud

storage you're using. Follow these steps to move messages from iCloud

and store them on your Mac instead.

Jan 29, 2020 12:34 AM in response to Eric Root

The attached screen shot is what I see when I open my mail @ iCloud.com. I've had Apple copmputer since the mid 1980s and have never had so much trouble finding a solution to a problem. My incoming mail is now totally blocked and I still can't empty the contents on my 5GB iCloud account. Can you walk me through, step by step. I'd be quite appreciative if you would do that. Thank you for you help.

Jan 28, 2020 1:06 PM in response to lionel196

I had an open discussion last week and followed instruction on how to delete iCould messages on my computer, but what I needed to know was how to clear my maxed out 5GB of data in my iCloud account? I now have problems with Mac mail on my Mac mini as a result. What do I do since I do not need any iCloud storage, but still want to use it for Mail?

icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.