Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heated when watching a video on YouTube

Hello. I have a macbook pro (mid 2010) with an i5 processor. I’m launching a video on YouTube and I see the processor heat up to a temperature of 92 degrees, is this normal? At rest, the temperature is 40 - 45 degrees. The laptop works forcibly on integrated video, since discrete has a problem. I didn’t look at thermal paste, but they should have changed it recently

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 7:13 PM

5 replies

Jan 22, 2020 8:52 PM in response to TihonovArtem

No, that's well below the auto-shutdown temperature. Videos with audio are very processor intensive, thus generating a lot of heat. The computer's shell makes up part of the heat dissipation system or the computer along with heat sinks attached on top of the processors, and fans.

Your model has two GPUs, one internal to the CPU and one discrete GPU. The discrete GPU generates a lot of heat if it is used. Normally, it is turned off unless required by certain processes. If you have the 15'' model with a Model ID=6,2, then you have a model with a discrete GPU that may fail requiring a motherboard replacement.

Heated when watching a video on YouTube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.