Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is My Macbook Air Running Hot?

Hi I have a 2017 13" Macbook Air, that might be running hot. Under stress TG Pro reports CPU temps up to 100+ Celsius. Once the fans kick in it drops down a little, IIRC low 90s to 80s or so. 5 years isn't a long time for thermal paste AFAIK... never had computers this old run that hot before. Did Apple go cheap on the paste? Is this a normal operating temperature? Should I definitely have the thermal paste reapplied?

Thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 30, 2022 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 4:25 AM

Replacing the thermal paste is not something to be taken lightly; it's just not a normal preventive maintenance task.

If it's running hot, the first things to consider are things like are the air vents clogged, is it being operated on a hard surface, is there a case obstructing air flow?

If you are experienced with replacing thermal paste, well ... it's your property but I'd never attempt that first and I've done the deed many many times. On Windows machines; not Macs however.

I'd start here: Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2022 4:25 AM in response to riverofwind

Replacing the thermal paste is not something to be taken lightly; it's just not a normal preventive maintenance task.

If it's running hot, the first things to consider are things like are the air vents clogged, is it being operated on a hard surface, is there a case obstructing air flow?

If you are experienced with replacing thermal paste, well ... it's your property but I'd never attempt that first and I've done the deed many many times. On Windows machines; not Macs however.

I'd start here: Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Is My Macbook Air Running Hot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.