Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Office mac 2011 and OS Catalina

Hello everyone. After installing OS Catalina i can't use Office mac 2011. I can't install the previous version of OS because i didn't use the Time Machine. Reinstalling Office mac 2011 did not produce results. Apple and Microsoft representatives do not solve the problem, offer me to purchase Office 365. WHY? I already bought Office mac 2011. I consider myself deceived in this situation. Dear Apple developers, I ask you to make a decision.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 8:41 AM

Apple has made it clear for the past two years 32 bit software (such as Office 2011) would be dead. That has now happened in Catalina. You were warned of this for the same past two years. Every 32 bit app you opened would produce a popup telling you xxx was not optimized for your system and would not run in a future OS.

MS also considers Office 2011 dead. They dropped all support for it last October. That you paid for it is meaningless. You pay for a car, too, but don't expect it to last 500 years, do you?

Software companies cannot stay in business by having users purchase something once and then keep that software going for free in perpetuity. They stay in business, so they can pay their employees and other bills, by having you buy new versions.

You can purchase the subscription Office 365, or the one-time cost Office 2019 as a replacement. This, if you need to stay specifically with Office. Otherwise, there's the free open source OpenOffice or LibreOffice. Neither has a replacement for Outlook if you need that.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2020 8:41 AM in response to Erarta

Apple has made it clear for the past two years 32 bit software (such as Office 2011) would be dead. That has now happened in Catalina. You were warned of this for the same past two years. Every 32 bit app you opened would produce a popup telling you xxx was not optimized for your system and would not run in a future OS.

MS also considers Office 2011 dead. They dropped all support for it last October. That you paid for it is meaningless. You pay for a car, too, but don't expect it to last 500 years, do you?

Software companies cannot stay in business by having users purchase something once and then keep that software going for free in perpetuity. They stay in business, so they can pay their employees and other bills, by having you buy new versions.

You can purchase the subscription Office 365, or the one-time cost Office 2019 as a replacement. This, if you need to stay specifically with Office. Otherwise, there's the free open source OpenOffice or LibreOffice. Neither has a replacement for Outlook if you need that.

Jan 23, 2020 8:41 AM in response to Erarta

Just because you buy an app doesn't mean you get free upgrades for life. If you didn't upgrade to Catalina it would still run fine. But operating systems change and in this case you were warned when upgrading that 32-bit apps would no longer function under Catalina.

Your choices are Office 365, Office 2019, or a free alternative like LibreOffice:

https://www.libreoffice.org

Office mac 2011 and OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.