Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to extend iPad Pro’s display with external screen

Hi.

Is there any way to extend my iPad Pro 2018 display to an external display? Not just duplicating, having two separate displays.

Looking for info on it I just keep coming up with stuff to extend any Mac’s display with an iPad like with Duet or stuff like that.

The more I try to use my iPad Pro like my only machine the more I want to go back to a regular laptop.

Thanks.

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 10:23 AM

No, you cannot extend the iPad “desktop” to an external display in the manner that you may be accustomed on other computing platforms.

iOS/iPadOS does however allow you to either mirror the iPad display - or send video output to an external monitor over HDMI or AirPlay.

MacOS Catalina and iPadOS 13.x supports the new Sidecar feature - allowing you to extend the Mac desktop to iPad - but not the other way around. Similar third-party utilities exist for PC and Mac (such as Duet), but again, this only works in extending the desktop to the iPad.

I hope you find this helpful in confirming what is - and what is not - currently possible.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2020 10:23 AM in response to drexomatic

No, you cannot extend the iPad “desktop” to an external display in the manner that you may be accustomed on other computing platforms.

iOS/iPadOS does however allow you to either mirror the iPad display - or send video output to an external monitor over HDMI or AirPlay.

MacOS Catalina and iPadOS 13.x supports the new Sidecar feature - allowing you to extend the Mac desktop to iPad - but not the other way around. Similar third-party utilities exist for PC and Mac (such as Duet), but again, this only works in extending the desktop to the iPad.

I hope you find this helpful in confirming what is - and what is not - currently possible.

How to extend iPad Pro’s display with external screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.