Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to be able to have both High Sierra and Mojave on my Mac.

I am really afraid of updating to Mojave as I would more than likely lose the ability to use some apps. How do you partition the hard drive to run either one?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 7:21 PM

noyonana wrote:

How do you partition the hard drive to run either one?

Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Like dialabrain I advocate using an external hard disk drive instead though. It's simpler, they're cheap, and when you make a final determination about Catalina you can repurpose it for Time Machine—which you ought to be using anyway.

If despite that recommendation you decide to forego the external disk option, then I suggest you do not partition the internal:

However, with APFS, you shouldn’t partition your disk in most cases. Instead, create multiple APFS volumes within a single partition. With the flexible space management provided by APFS, you can even install another version of macOS on an APFS volume.

That obviates questions regarding individual partition capacities.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2020 7:21 PM in response to noyonana

noyonana wrote:

How do you partition the hard drive to run either one?

Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Like dialabrain I advocate using an external hard disk drive instead though. It's simpler, they're cheap, and when you make a final determination about Catalina you can repurpose it for Time Machine—which you ought to be using anyway.

If despite that recommendation you decide to forego the external disk option, then I suggest you do not partition the internal:

However, with APFS, you shouldn’t partition your disk in most cases. Instead, create multiple APFS volumes within a single partition. With the flexible space management provided by APFS, you can even install another version of macOS on an APFS volume.

That obviates questions regarding individual partition capacities.

Jan 24, 2020 1:04 PM in response to noyonana

Open Disk Utility click on View in the menubar select Show All Devices.

Highlight the Disk not any of the indented Volumes, click Partition,

click on the + symbol and use the round grey handle on the outside of the circle to

resize your new partition. Give it a name make sure the format is APFS, once you are

happy with the size and name of the new partition click Apply.

Jan 24, 2020 6:38 PM in response to noyonana

FWIW, the size is arbitrary but it depends on how much free space you have available on your drive and how many apps you think you want to install in Mojave. 40GBs would be the minimum just to install Mojave. Plus, you need to allow free space for your High Sierra install. To switch between them you hold the Option key on boot or restart.

It might be simpler to install Mojave on an external drive.

I would like to be able to have both High Sierra and Mojave on my Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.