Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is uploaded music from my CD’s considered “purchased”

Music that I have uploaded from CD’s, ie. my own purchased music, should be available for me to use like music I have purchased from the iTunes store, right (I use the Family Sharing plan for Apple Music, have multiple devices, MacOS and iOS both completely up-to-date, shared between 2 people)?

There are some things you can do with tunes you “own” that can’t be done with music you are just using temporarily on Music—like burn to a CD or import into some third party apps.

iMac 27", 10.15

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 5:03 AM

Hi Art,

If the issue is burning a CD, you must have a local copy of the songs; songs in the cloud cannot be burned, regardless of their ownership status. On the other hand, if the idea is only to share playlists, you can easily do so with Apple Music:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207542

3 replies

Jan 24, 2020 10:12 PM in response to ed2345

Thanks ed2345

In the days of iTunes Match (which I thought was incorporated into Apple Music) it used to be that any uploaded music that matched tunes iTunes had in its vast database would be treated as "owned" by the uploader. That makes sense since I could easily make a copy of any CD I own (just like I used to do before that with purchased cassette tapes) and give that away as a gift not only to my family, but to anyone.

I'm disappointed about the downgrading of service, but so be it. I guess I could pay an additional $25 for an ongoing iTunes Match subscription in addition to Apple Music.

Is uploaded music from my CD’s considered “purchased”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.