Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo libraries in Photo

Can I use multiple Photo libraries on my Mac with Catalina? (Photo Stream mode)

Right now I use I loud for iPads and Photo stream for iPhones and iMac

When picture editing is complete I Air Drop them to IPads and. ICloud.

Am now in MojVe and thIs works.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 7:41 PM

" If you have multiple photo libraries on your Mac, you can choose one to be the System Photo Library. The System Photo Library is the only library that can be used with iCloud Photos, Shared Albums, and My Photo Stream. Photos in your System Photo Library are available in apps like iMovie, Pages, and Keynote."

Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2020 7:41 PM in response to Bsaw67

" If you have multiple photo libraries on your Mac, you can choose one to be the System Photo Library. The System Photo Library is the only library that can be used with iCloud Photos, Shared Albums, and My Photo Stream. Photos in your System Photo Library are available in apps like iMovie, Pages, and Keynote."

Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

Jan 28, 2020 11:53 AM in response to leroydouglas

So if I upgrade to Catilina can I still operate like I am now with 2 Photo libraries on my i-Mac in Photo Stream mode and 1 Sytsem Photo Library in i-Cloud?

Library Configuration Summary:

a. Photo's Library #1 will contain one set of pictures (older years). about 45 gb now. It will only used occasionally to browse/edit, transfer old pic's to i-Mac Pictures folder or to AIr Drop to i-Pads. During periods that this library is selcted I have to understand that I should turn off Photo Stream so camera pic's do not get moved into it.

b. Photo's Library #2 will contain more recent photo's (1-5 years, 23 gb). This library will be selected as the i-Mac System Library so it receives Photo stream pic's from i-Phones.

Device Configuration Summary:

a. i-Phones (2) and i-Mac: will be in Photo Stream mode / NOT IN i-Cloud Mode: They will receive taken pictures via Photo Stream into i-Mac system library #2 which will be edtied on home i-Mac. When final edit of pic's and albums are completed they will be Air Dropped to i-Pads for upload to I-Cloud automatically. Full resolution Pic's will be kept on i-Mac.

b. i-Pads (2): will be configured for Photo i-Cloud mode. They will receive via Air Drop final edited pictures from home based i-Mac. These pic's will be full resolution pic's. Only 6 month's of pictures/albums will be kept in i-Cloud at a time.

Photo libraries in Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.