Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging Photos libraries from two different Macs

The article about combining Photo libraries appears to be good. However it doesn't address the problem I have which is two libraries on two different Macs. How can I merge these two libraries please?

And possibly so that when I import from my camera or from one of my iPhones I don't need to do it twice.

The devices are a MacBook Pro which goes everywhere with me, and an old iMac that resides happily and works well on my desk.

Thanks in advance for any advice here.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 10:00 AM

The most complete way is to enable the iCloud Library on each Mac and let both of them sync to the iCloud Library and each other. This will include projects, faces, etc. It does require purchasing sufficient iCloud storage to house both libraries. If you don't have enough space on your portable device you can also enable "Optimize Mac Storage" on it. And it will take some time to complete the syncing depending on the sizes of your libraries.

If you use PowerPhotos to merge the two libraries both devices will have to be running the same system and Photos version. With the iCloud Library that's not a requirement.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2020 10:00 AM in response to Peter Gibb

The most complete way is to enable the iCloud Library on each Mac and let both of them sync to the iCloud Library and each other. This will include projects, faces, etc. It does require purchasing sufficient iCloud storage to house both libraries. If you don't have enough space on your portable device you can also enable "Optimize Mac Storage" on it. And it will take some time to complete the syncing depending on the sizes of your libraries.

If you use PowerPhotos to merge the two libraries both devices will have to be running the same system and Photos version. With the iCloud Library that's not a requirement.

Aug 17, 2020 8:53 AM in response to Peter Gibb

Hi,

The best tool for merging your two libraries and retaining all of your organisation/album structure, before/after edits, etc in my experience is Power Photos from Fat Cat software. Do you have to pay for it unfortunately, but its well worth it (I have nothing to do with the company BTW) and the developer is very helpful. The Duplicate Photos feature is very good also.

Alternatively, if you didn't want to pay for the software, you could just export all of the photos from one library and re-import into the other but you are likely to lose your organisation and edits. Depending on how many photos you have you could export an album at a time, but you will need to decide whether you export the photo pre/post edit. This may not be issue if you have not spent a great deal of time editing your photos.

Once you have created your single, merged library, you mentioned that you only wish to import your any new photos once. The best way to do this is with iCloud Photos. You set one library as the master (via preferences) and any changes you make to either the master library or the secondary library are synced to the other. You mentioned that the iMac is quite old, which version of OS are running as they may impact whether iCloud Photos will work.

Aug 17, 2020 10:29 AM in response to Russ New Boy

You are right, Russ. PowerPhotos is really good at merging libraries, as long as we are running macOS 10.15 Catalina or newer. With th older versions of MacOS X it will not be possible to move both the edited versions and the originals between libraries, and the photo edits will not be reversible, see: https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/Docs/merge_libraries.html

And PowerPhotos cannot merge optimised iCloud Photos Libraries. PowerPhotos needs all items to have been downloaded from iCloud to be able to merge libraries. To merge two libraries residing on two different Macs I would simply upload both libraries to iCloud Photos and they will be merged perfectly in iCloud as recommended by OT.

See: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries, 2019 Version

Aug 17, 2020 10:41 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you both,

The iMac is a 2009 model and runs OS 10.11.6 El Capitan. It runs Photos Version 1.5 and that works okay.

The MacBook Pro is 2018 and on 10.15.6 Catalina. It runs Photos Version 5.0.

So the option for using Power Photos is not going to work.

I have 2Tb of iCloud storage so there is enough on there. The MacBook Pro Photos library is already syncing to iCloud and I was / I am concerned that selecting to sync Photos on the iMac would somehow cause issues with one or both of the libraries.

Is selecting to sync the iMac photos and being patient all I have to do?

Thanks again.

Aug 17, 2020 11:03 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks everybody for your help.

One last question before I go ahead; are there going to be any issues with folders or albums or even photos that are already on both devices? Will the process cope with items with the same names? In the past with special events or special holidays I uploaded from my camera to both the iMac and the MacBook Pro.

Once I get past that concern I am going to select sync on the iMac this evening, keep my fingers crossed and look later at the results!

Thanks

Aug 17, 2020 12:56 PM in response to Peter Gibb

Uploading the two libraries to iCloud will merge the libraries. iCloud Photos will solve conflicts between duplicate photos and albums. That is why the upload into iCloud will be slow, because of the duplicate checks.

It is unlikely, that you will have duplicates in the iCloud Library after uploading and merging the libraries, as long the duplicates between the devices are exact copies.

Aug 18, 2020 3:45 AM in response to léonie

I bow to Old Toad and Leonie's superior knowledge, they are right re the need for the same OS version if you were to use Power Photos. Hopefully iCloud Photos will take care of the duplicates. If you do end up with numerous duplicates for whatever reason, there are plenty of threads on here as to how to tackle the problem - most of them written by Old T or Leonie!

Merging Photos libraries from two different Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.