Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone XR has frozen, and won't turn off.

When I try a hard reset (holding down side button + volume up) all I get is Siri asking if I need help. If I wait for a while I get the lock screen which opens with Face ID, but when I swipe up I get a black screen with a grey bar at the top under the notch (like the "forehead" in older models). I can't access Settings to use the Accessibility workaround. All I can think of is to let the power run down (two days?) and hope for the best. Any suggestions?

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 10:28 AM

Hi blogueiro,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand your iPhone XR does not seem to responding as expected, and I'd like to help.

It sounds like you were trying to force restart your iPhone XR, which is a good, suggested step to try when your iPhone is unresponsive. However, for iPhone 8 and later, the steps to perform a force restart are a bit different compared to the previous models. Try this out on your iPhone XR instead: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

If that does not help solve the unexpected behavior, please continue following the steps found in this support article: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support.

Best regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2020 10:28 AM in response to blogueiro

Hi blogueiro,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand your iPhone XR does not seem to responding as expected, and I'd like to help.

It sounds like you were trying to force restart your iPhone XR, which is a good, suggested step to try when your iPhone is unresponsive. However, for iPhone 8 and later, the steps to perform a force restart are a bit different compared to the previous models. Try this out on your iPhone XR instead: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

If that does not help solve the unexpected behavior, please continue following the steps found in this support article: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support.

Best regards.

My iPhone XR has frozen, and won't turn off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.