Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My iPhone 14 Pro Max won't turn on

I charged my iPhone before I went to bed and woke up, and it's a black screen and won't turn on. I've tried clicking on the volume +/ - and power button sequence to no avail. Doing a quick online search others are experiencing this issue as well, and is some Apple bug. Not really sure what to do other than having to visit an Apple Store to get it wiped and OS reinstalled. How frustrating..

This is the first time I've experience the issue, the first week I got the iPhone I did experience a power cycle once.

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 12:50 AM

I had the same issue, no power, black screen, couldn't turn it on. What is even stranger, is when I went to look for my iPhone in FindMy Device, it had indicated it had been off for 6 hours which would have been midnight at the change of the month from January to February. My alarm never went off on my phone this morning, obviously. I never received messages overnight, obviously. And if there would have been an emergency for me or from a family member trying to get in touch with me, I would have been screwed. Not sure what the bug is, Apple, but it's a bug that y'all need to get fixed and understood and fast. Missing an alarm to get up in the morning...not the worst possible thing that could happen but it did put a lot of stress on all of us this morning trying to get out the door. The good news and happy ending to the story is that I did the steps as listed, way deep in this forum (which by the way, I couldn't look up on my phone because it wouldn't turn on 🙄), however, the steps worked.

1. Quick tap on volume up button
  2. Quick tap on volume down button
  3. Hold long side button down for a good minute until the Apple Symbol appears (I took my phone out of it's mag-safe case to do all this since it is easier to push the phone buttons and know you are pushing them when the phone is not in the case.)

I would be interested to know what exactly is causing this strange phenomenon in the new iPhones? Hoping my post helps others and helps Apple to know that is occurred to another person. Thank you.

[Edited by Moderator].

109 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2023 12:50 AM in response to bonnyhomekit

I had the same issue, no power, black screen, couldn't turn it on. What is even stranger, is when I went to look for my iPhone in FindMy Device, it had indicated it had been off for 6 hours which would have been midnight at the change of the month from January to February. My alarm never went off on my phone this morning, obviously. I never received messages overnight, obviously. And if there would have been an emergency for me or from a family member trying to get in touch with me, I would have been screwed. Not sure what the bug is, Apple, but it's a bug that y'all need to get fixed and understood and fast. Missing an alarm to get up in the morning...not the worst possible thing that could happen but it did put a lot of stress on all of us this morning trying to get out the door. The good news and happy ending to the story is that I did the steps as listed, way deep in this forum (which by the way, I couldn't look up on my phone because it wouldn't turn on 🙄), however, the steps worked.

1. Quick tap on volume up button
  2. Quick tap on volume down button
  3. Hold long side button down for a good minute until the Apple Symbol appears (I took my phone out of it's mag-safe case to do all this since it is easier to push the phone buttons and know you are pushing them when the phone is not in the case.)

I would be interested to know what exactly is causing this strange phenomenon in the new iPhones? Hoping my post helps others and helps Apple to know that is occurred to another person. Thank you.

[Edited by Moderator].

Jan 13, 2023 7:14 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Mine just did the same thing and I got it to turn on again. But, I want to know WHY this happened? I've had multiple iPhones and this has never occurred with any of my previous generation phones. It's not very comforting to know that my phone may seize up sometime during the night and won't work in an emergency or I can't be called for something...

Feb 3, 2023 4:11 AM in response to bonnyhomekit

I have the new 14 Pro Max. As usual I put it on the charger before going to bed last night with 78% charge left. woke up in the morning and the phone was off and can't be turned on. I tried all the suggestions online but still no luck. I guess I'm going to have to go back to the Verizon store for a solution. This is terrible. Not good for Apple Comp. Do you have any solutions

Jan 20, 2023 5:19 AM in response to Hawk443

Let's hope this is fixable via an update and Apple is paying attention. Being someone who has trusted and relied on Apple to have a high-quality products, I am very disappointed and concerned I may have made a mistake in my recent investment in a new iPhone 14 Pro Max and new Apple Watch series 8. My previous iPhone 7 Plus and Apple watch series 1 were both working without major issues up to my replacing them this past December.

Apr 10, 2023 1:28 AM in response to bonnyhomekit

Same issue happened here on my 14 pro max.

Left the phone overnight to charge, woke up in the morning to a dead phone, not being able to switch it on.

After a few tries and research on the web I found out the way to force restart it, by pressing down the volume up, then pressing down the volume down, then long press the power button and it worked !

• iOS -16.4
  • phone is 1 month old
  • same issue happened on my previously 11 pro max

Feb 26, 2023 7:36 AM in response to bonnyhomekit

First time this happened to me. I got my iPhone less than 2 months ago. Frustrating because, like everyone else in this group, I use my iPhone as an alarm too. I see that it backed up everything on my iCloud at 2:02am and I went to bed before that. The black screen occurred after the back up, in the middle of the night randomly. I was still able to text on my Apple Watch and my alarm went off on my Apple Watch, but freaked out because I had birthday pictures from yesterday.

Wondering if anyone can tell me what they use as a charger? I use a wireless MagSafe Belkin charger, so I’m wondering if this has any effect to my iPhone 14 Pro Max? I noticed that my iPhone had the lighting bolt (to indicate charging) one day last week but it didn’t charge my iPhone over night at all and I had to charge it in the morning.

Frankly, I’m just as shocked as everyone else after dropping all of this money on a brand new iPhone, thinking it would be better. My iPhone 11 Pro was way more reliable and I’ve had way too many glitches on this new phone.

Jan 28, 2023 3:22 PM in response to bonnyhomekit

My phone worked fine at night and I put it on to recharge overnight at usual. When I woke in the morning the screen was black. I tried the forced restart several times but it wouldn't work. In the end I plugged it into my Mac and the Mac noted a system error and performed a full system update for the phone. It said the update would take 2 hours but after 30mins the phone started working again. This was strange because I have automatic updates on so there wasn't any updates to that were missed. Very disappointed for a phone that is only a couple of months old.

Feb 8, 2023 10:28 AM in response to bonnyhomekit

This also happened on my iPhone 14 Pro this morning. It was at 25% charged when I plugged in before bed, and woke up to a black screen. I tried plugging in with other chargers in different outlets in the house for a while each, but still wouldn't turn on. I followed the button up, button down, and holding the start button procedure for a minute. It didn't work the first time, but about an hour later, tried it again, and it came on. When it came on, it showed 100% charged.

I've owned iPhones since 4S, and this is the first time something like this has happened. Thankfully, my husband set a second alarm on his old 5S phone as a backup; otherwise, we'd all be late for work & school!

I hope Apple looks into this and fix it. It makes the iPhone 14 very unreliable for us.

My iPhone 14 Pro Max won't turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.