Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open/show my photos

When I tap on my photos and trying to open one of them, suddenly it goes back to home screen. What should I do?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 4:48 AM

The app is crashing for some reason. You might have a corrupt photo causing the problem. Try force closing the photos app and then force restart your phone.

To force close the app, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get to the app switcher. Swipe to get to the photos app preview thumbnail. Swipe the thumbnail up and off the top of the screen to close the app.

To force restart the phone, Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

After the phone starts up, try the photos app again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2020 4:48 AM in response to ji_okinawa

The app is crashing for some reason. You might have a corrupt photo causing the problem. Try force closing the photos app and then force restart your phone.

To force close the app, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get to the app switcher. Swipe to get to the photos app preview thumbnail. Swipe the thumbnail up and off the top of the screen to close the app.

To force restart the phone, Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

After the phone starts up, try the photos app again.

Can't open/show my photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.