Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Refresh USB port / restart usb service

Hello,

after the upgrade to Catalina I have some problem with the USB hubs. I have three USB hubs (all working fine before the upgrade) that when plugged they are recognised once every 10/15 times. If I plug the usb hub and then restart my Macbook (12", USB C port only) they are working fine.

I can't keep logging out or restarting each time I need to connect one, and I have already tried to restore my Mac without using any backup (huge waste of time, really ). So I am looking for a way to kill/restart the USB service manually via terminal. The hubs are HDMI, Ethernet and USB hubs, each feature works fine without issue, just the USB doesn't work until restart.

There's no driver or anything to install as they always have been plug and play. I know that Catalina has removed any support to 32bit application but again, there's no software that was needed. It's not a matter of kext because as I said if I restart my Mac everything is working fine.

Anyone aware of how to kill restart the usb kext/process?

Thank you very much

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 4:30 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 13, 2020 5:54 PM in response to WorldsAdmin

WorldsAdmin wrote:
I need a way to do it without rebooting / logging out

SMC has been reset few times, MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), both the hubs are not self powered, before doing few test one of the hub seller sent a new, same problem. I tried with two different hubs. I only need a way in terminal to refresh the USB accessories attached

Did you try simply:

sudo nvram boot-args=”-p -r”

this will tell you if a reboot is required, if no change—then you can answer your own question.

Refresh USB port / restart usb service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.